Beginner question

Reaction score
How do I copy a web link from my browser to an email so the receiver does not have to cut and paste? I am using my macbook pro lap top w/o the mouse.

When I have highlighted the web address, copied and pasted (using command c and C v)it into the email it is not an active link that I can 'click on'. I would have to cut and copy it into a browser. I was hoping for something more manageable for the email receiver.

I hate to be so ignorant or use the wrong vocab. A simple copy/paste visually is "gray" I want it "blue" so someone getting the email can just "click" to open. Thanks for your help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How do I copy a web link from my browser to an email so the receiver does not have to cut and paste? I am using my macbook pro lap top w/o the mouse. thanks.

Highlight & copy the web address from your browser...then paste the link in the e-mail you want to send.

Pretty much just like any other "copy & paste" task.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You're right, it doesn't appear as a clickable link when you paste it into your email. However, it does when it arrives at the other end.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are using the current version of Mail on your Mac and some users are not receiving clickable links with just using copy and past try the following:

1. Go to the page you want to send and copy the link (Command C) just as you are doing now.
2. Compose your message in Mail till you get to the point that you want the link to appear then press Command K.
3. When the dialog box appears paste the link into the box (Command V) and click OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Another method:
Grab the "favicon" next to the URL. Drag that to your e-mail.

Reaction score
Try this:

1. In Safari - Navigate to the page you would like to send the link to.
2. Click File
3. Click Mail Link To This Page

This should open up a Mail Compose New window with the link in the body of the email. Just add the recipient in the To: field and any additional comments to the body of the email.

Reaction score
Try this:

1. In Safari - Navigate to the page you would like to send the link to.
2. Click File
3. Click Mail Link To This Page

This should open up a Mail Compose New window with the link in the body of the email. Just add the recipient in the To: field and any additional comments to the body of the email.

You can also achieve the same result using FF (Firefox) by right clicking and selecting the Send Link... option :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Um, the other person could be reading the email in Plain Text, which would not hyperlink no matter what you do from the sender perspective...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.