Should I buy an early 2011 macbook pro or a late 2010 upgraded one?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have two used macbook pro offers from which I can choose from, and I would like your input on which I should pick.

The first is a 13 inch Macbook Pro from early 2011, I5 2,3 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GBs (5400 RPM), the basic stock model.

The second is a late 2010, also 13 inch Macbook Pro, with the 2,4 GHz dual core processor, but upgraded with 8GB RAM and a 640 GB (7200 RPM) hard drive. This one also has an Optibay installed.

I guess the question really is do the upgrades on the slightly older macbook make for a bigger upgrade than the processor upgrade on the newer model? I can find websites with comparisons but not ones for custom macs.

If it matters, I will be using the computer for video and sound editing, as well as ordinary day to day use.

Thank you very much for your help!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello,

I have two used macbook pro offers from which I can choose from, and I would like your input on which I should pick.

The first is a 13 inch Macbook Pro from early 2011, I5 2,3 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GBs (5400 RPM), the basic stock model.

The second is a late 2010, also 13 inch Macbook Pro, with the 2,4 GHz dual core processor, but upgraded with 8GB RAM and a 640 GB (7200 RPM) hard drive. This one also has an Optibay installed.

I guess the question really is do the upgrades on the slightly older macbook make for a bigger upgrade than the processor upgrade on the newer model? I can find websites with comparisons but not ones for custom macs.

If it matters, I will be using the computer for video and sound editing, as well as ordinary day to day use.

Thank you very much for your help!

Easy question. Get the newer MBP and upgrade it later if desired. RAM is cheap and HDs will be cheap again. Both are fairly easy upgrades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.