Safari is screwed up ...

Reaction score
Don't know what's gone wrong with Safari. It will open some of my usual websites but not others. In the latter case, I get a grey Safari window with the message: "Safari can't find the server (example) www.xyz.com"; it also sometimes comes up with (file:///Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/) in the address window but nothing happens.

Sometimes, when I try to change to a different website, the new address appears in the window but Safari sticks to the website it has been on and will not show the new one.

Not sure whether it's relevant, but Chrome, which I don't often use, just crashes after showing its normal screen for about 10 seconds.

Perhaps the whole MPB (10.6.8) has slowed down (?)

Comments greatly appreciated.

M

OP
M
Reaction score
Should have mentioned that I'm using Safari 5.1.1 ... I did a software update earlier this evening in a vain attempt to fix the problem. BTW, some of the sites which will not come up are major sites, ISP home pages and the like.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Use DiskUtility app and verify the disk and the permissions. Let it run to completion.
Get the application Onyx and clean out your cache completely.
Remove Chrome and reinstall it from scratch.
Try again.

Still doesnt work, make an appointment with the Apple Store to have them take a look.

If those dont work, make sure you have a good backup of your data and do a full reformat and reinstall of the OS. Others may have other things to try, but personally, after an hour trying to fix something, I generally just reformat anyway. I never keep much data on the actual computer, so it is easy.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just checked my posts and ashamed to say that I didn't respond to your reply.
Hope it's not too late to say, "Thank you."
In the end I went to the Apple Store and they sorted it out.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.