Mac pro cannot see external drive

Reaction score
Ever since I upgraded to Lion my 2006 Mac Pro 15" cannot see my external back up drive. I've seen people with the same problem on line but I've yet to come across a straight answer. I've wanted to re install the Lion software but A: I can't make a new back up because my pro won't see it B: The supposed recovery portion of my hard drive that should have come with the Lion upgrade doesn't appear to work when trying to boot up with the command "R" keys held down. I've tried it several times to no avail…..is there a straight answer out there???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

You do mean a MacBook Pro and not a Mac Pro one takes it?

Suggest you do a clean install of Lion after backing up your hard drive and transfer items over using Migration Assistant. You can download another copy of Lion f.o.c. going into App Store, hold down Option and hit Purchases, click on Lion icon and download. Then burn to a USB thumb drive. To access Recovery, hold down Option after booting.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry, should have been more specific…it's a Macbook Pro bought in 2006. Also didn't mention that I replaced my old drive with a new 750 gig and upgraded the ram. It was installed by an authorized Apple dealer (I'm a bit of a geek but not enough to chance screwing up my gear). But as I mentioned, I can't do a back up because the Macbook can't see the drive.

Reaction score
Hi Bagman30,

I am having exactly the same problem by the sounds of things. Have you tried the advice by harryb2448 yet? Has it worked?

Good luck with it and I would be grateful if you could let me know either way.

idtbrian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.