ripping cd's to external hard drive

Reaction score
Hello all

I've tried searching but can't locate a similar thread so sorry if you've seen this before...

I want to rip CD's directly to an external hard drive connected by USB. Each tim e I try it fails the Mac will only allow me to rip to the machine's own hard drive. I've ended up ripping on a PC and then reconnecting the HDD to the MAc and importing into i tunes to play.....this all seems overly complicated. I did ask at my local store and they said the HDD needs to have a copy of i tunes on it first and to do that drag it from the dock onto the HDD, I tried this and all that happened was that i tunes was removed from the dock.

Any suggestions?

regards
Chilts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello all

I've tried searching but can't locate a similar thread so sorry if you've seen this before...

I want to rip CD's directly to an external hard drive connected by USB. Each tim e I try it fails the Mac will only allow me to rip to the machine's own hard drive. I've ended up ripping on a PC and then reconnecting the HDD to the MAc and importing into i tunes to play.....this all seems overly complicated. I did ask at my local store and they said the HDD needs to have a copy of i tunes on it first and to do that drag it from the dock onto the HDD, I tried this and all that happened was that i tunes was removed from the dock.

Just use X Lossless Decoder. It's one of the best, if not THE best of its class.
X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. sadly that has not helped I installed Lossless Audio Decoder and tried but get a message that says the Ext HDD is not writable. It writes OK from my PC but I want to leave it connected to the mac and rip direct via that. Anyone else with any ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How is that external HDD formatted? Sounds like it's NTFS, which means yes, the drive can't be written to by any OS X app. Not without a 3rd party driver.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK thanks, sadly I don't know how to tell how it's formatted....can you help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open Disk Utility. Select the partition on the drive. Down at the bottom, it will tell you.

OP
C
Reaction score
I think you've nailed it! It's format is NTFS, can it be reformatted? If problematic I'm not against buying another HDD I can still use this one elsewhere...the only question would be transferring the music and photos on it to the new disk.
rgds
Mark

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
C
Reaction score
great, thanks for the pointer.....but would I be able to hook up a new Mac formatted HDD and then copy the original HDD contents straight to it if both were connected to the Mac?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should work fine. The Mac should have no trouble reading the NTFS drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks again. It plays music on it so clearly can read from it, I just can't write to it, I'll buy another HDD and copy stuff over. Many thanks to you and lifeisabeach for your knowledge.

Chilts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't have to buy a Mac-formatted drive. You can simply reformat the existing one, though you'll need to first backup anything on it. Also be aware that, if you are sharing that drive with a PC, Windows cannot read or write to Mac-formatted drives without 3rd party drivers.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome

There is a Terminal command that enables writing to NTFS drives and there is also some third party software for this as well if a new hard drive isn't in the budget. I'll have to leave discussion of those options to others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.