Hard Drive Upgrade - Drive Size Shown Incorrectly After Installation

Reaction score
I have an older model Macbook Version 2.1 that had an 80GB hard drive installed. I have just installed a Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB internal hard drive upgrade and successfully cloned my data over using Carbon Copy Cloner. The problem I have encountered is that only 91.4GB of capacity is shown in Disk Utility for the new hard drive. After starting the computer using my bootable copy via an external USB drive, I formatted the newly installed 500GB drive with the appropriate Apple formatting (e.g. GUID and Mac OS Extended Journaled) but it only shows 91.4GB of capacity and space available on the new drive. I was able to successfully clone the information from my bootable back-up of the old drive to the new drive but I just don't have the full 500GB capacity available to me.

What should I do? Is this a problem with the new hard drive or is there something I need to change on my Macbook to "see" the whole capacity of my new drive? Currently, the drive shows:

Capacity = 91.4GB

Available Space = 21.2GB (after installation of the cloned information from the old drive)

Thanks for your advice,

Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you have a clone of your old hard drive try this:

Use Disk Utility from your install DVD to erase the drive, format it again as HFS Extended Journaled, GUID and then check the capacity. Don't use CCC yet. If it still shows as 91 GB of capacity, pull the drive and check to see if there are jumpers that have to be set or pulled.

Reaction score
Max Hard-Drive Size

What seems to have happened is that your MacBook has a max size of hard-drive space, and it seems the max is 100 Gigabytes. The only way I think there is to get past it is to buy software to hack through it and make and unlimited amount of hard-drive space or just a higher max amount, but that hardly works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do as staff member chscag advised. The problem will be associated with the speed of the hard drive. MacBook 2.1 can recognize up to 120-160GB on a 5400rpm hard drive, and slightly more on a 7200rpm drive, which maxes capacity out at 200GB.

Download a little application called MacTracker for all the information on all Mac models.

http://mactracker.ca/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.