Deleting mail from Mail Trash

S

sik

Sorry this is may be a stupid question for some but how do you do that. I have looked for an empty trash pop down menu but cannot find it. also is this trash linked to the finder trash?

how do i empty individual files in the trash?
I am an Windows person and reckon despite all the issues at least we can press the delete key and the trash will be gone!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
sik said:
Sorry this is may be a stupid question for some but how do you do that. I have looked for an empty trash pop down menu but cannot find it. also is this trash linked to the finder trash?

how do i empty individual files in the trash?
I am an Windows person and reckon despite all the issues at least we can press the delete key and the trash will be gone!

There are a few ways. What Mac do you have? If it's an iBook or Powerbook and you are using the trackpad, point at the trash folder while holding down the CTRL Key. A menu will pop up with the option to empty the trash. As far as individual messages in the trash, Point at the message you want to delete and again hold CTRL and click on it and you will see a menu like a Right Click menu and Delete will be one of the options.

If you have a desktop Mac and are using a 2-3 Button mouse instead of the stock Apple One Button just right click instead of doing the CTRL Click just like on a Windows machine and Delete or Empty will be there.

Hope this helps. If you have any more problems just ask.

OP
B

Badger

Under the Mailbox menu is an item to Erase Deleted Messages. You can use that to empty the trash maually. Also you can set the preferences in Mail to empty the Trash when Mail is closed or at a later time. Open Mail, go to the Mail menu>preferences and click on the accounts icon and then the account name. Click on the button bar for Special Mailboxes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.