unable to read dvd-rw's

Reaction score
I am a pc user with win 7 home premium edition.
I have a macbook running os x.
I desire to transfer video programs from a continuing series for my mother onto dvd-rw's. The intention is to write over the watched program to save on dvd-r's. I burn the programs to disk using my pc. However, the macbook refuses to play them. Initially, it played a program without diffficulty. Next, a program from the same series transcribed to the same disk failed to play. Subsequent problem involved system freeze upon playback; could only eject disk by power off/on holding down eject button. This has occurred with disks from two different manufacturers.
I have occasionally had problems with rental dvd's also.
I know Apple makes superior products, but feel this problem requires technical service. Any comments would be welcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It could be caused by a problem with the drive itself or the way you're recording the DVD RW disks on the PC. First try cleaning the drive on your MacBook. The best and safest way is to buy a can of compressed air and blow several short blasts into the drive itself. If the optical reader LED is dirty that may clean it.

Also, as a recommendation... DVD RW disks for the most part are flaky and IMO not a very good medium to record onto. As inexpensive as DVD media is, there's no reason to spend money on re-writable disks.

C

chas_m

But it's probably more a matter of a) using a proprietary program that writes in its own special way or b) not closing the session correctly. Macs (nor other PCs) can read discs that haven't closed the session properly.

OP
P
Reaction score
dvd-rw failure

Thanx for the input. It was really appreciated. (There should be a smiley face here, but I'm incompatible for that).

1. I failed to mention previously that this computer belongs to my brother and arrived with the instructions "don't mess with it".

2. I also forget to mention that the picture quality on this computer is poor. The picture is weak, rather dim, without detail. Perhaps there is a 'brilliance' control somewhere as in the old crt tvs. This is the case with both homegrown and commercial disks. I always use ac power, never the battery.

3. This is the first I've heard of dvd-rw's being of questionable quality. In the pc world, they are used commonly without problems. Are there special media prepared especially for Apple computers?

4. Since these difficulties are encountered with both homegrown and commercial disks, it would seem that the pc burning software may not be to blame.

5. My belief is that this computer needs some service by a qualified Apple service tech.

Perhaps I will ask my brother to rescind his order.
In any case, thank you again for your asistance; any further info would be welcome. (smiley face here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
3. This is the first I've heard of dvd-rw's being of questionable quality. In the pc world, they are used commonly without problems. Are there special media prepared especially for Apple computers?

Not true. The problems I've had with DVD RW media have been on my PCs. Most of us, by the way, use both platforms and are very familiar with Windows and its quirks. :) My advice still - is to toss the DVD RW disks and use the write once media instead. Your choice or your brother's, of course.

OP
P
Reaction score
dvd-rw's

NOT TRUE???

Who else do you know who has had problems with DVD-RW disks? Perhaps your experience is anecdotal. Perhaps the Macbook computer is incapable of playing large files created on a pc.

In addition,why does the macbook have problems with commercial rental DVDs? Never had these problems on my pc (desktop or notebook). Undoubtedly, some files may be corrupt, but not all of them.

I can't believe this could be a design flaw by Apple. I think this computer is malfunctioning and needs service.

I require the use of DVD-RWs to transcribe programs for my mother in her nursing home. I had planned to reuse the disks for new programming. Chucking used DVD-Rs maybe cheap, but it is not environmentally correct to be adding this to our landfills.

Despite the inferior performance of this macbook computer, it is all I've got at this time, so it must suffice.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate your prompt response.(smiley face here).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I require the use of DVD-RWs to transcribe programs for my mother in her nursing home. I had planned to reuse the disks for new programming. Chucking used DVD-Rs maybe cheap, but it is not environmentally correct to be adding this to our landfills.

My experience with DVD RW media is not anecdotal. Having worked in large government offices and private concerns before I went on to something else, I've seen more failures with DVD RW media than any other type.

As I said above, the choice is yours. I commend your dedication and effort to your mother. Very refreshing in these times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
@ padyboy... What file extesion are movie files? AVI? MP4? MPEG?
Also, have you tried playing the DVD with VLC player app on your Mac? I've had to do this sometimes on my MBP when Frontrow didn't play certain DVD's... R and RW.

OP
P
Reaction score
file extensions

Thanks for the input Juke.

Most files are .avi; occasionally mp3 or mp4. I was told to avoid .rar files.

Despite the previous comment (which was appreciated), I still have read in several places that DVD-RW disks are dependable. This was the only complaint against this media type I have every heard. Sales personnel have recommended them.

As mentioned, the fact that this Apple computer has difficulty with other commercial disks is very significant.

I am not pro-pc as such, they are just more affordable than Macintosh computers. However, I have encountered Mac users who hate Bill Gates and pcs in general, showing an almost fanatical dedication to Macintosh. It seems they refuse to believe a Mac could malfunction. It is admirable that Apple is able to command this level of confidence in the product. I mean no offense, and I do not refer specifically to the members who have graciously replied to my request for assistance

As previously mentioned, my orders are to use it solely for playback. I am probably using whatever video player was included with the iBook, which opens automatically upon disk insertion. I prefer to use VLC Player on my HP pc.

Finally, I still believe that iBook is a state-of-the-art computer and that my problem is specific to this unit. I again thank all who have contributed to this discussion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.