• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who are you? What do you do? How did you get there?

Reaction score
Being a student interested in majoring in Information Technology, I'm very interested in what everyone does...where they went to school...what degrees they have...what kind of suggestions they have to a prospective student...etc. Sure my counselor can tell me what degrees are most common in this field, but I'd rather get the answers straight from the people themselves. Im particularly interested in..Network Administrators.. Systems Administrators... *Security analysts*... *photography people*....

Thanks

Edit: What would you like to be doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
School: High school grad
Degree: nothing special, just diploma
What I do: Sell Mortgages making 10k/month
Crazy isnt it? I think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
School: Florida Commmunity College Jacksonville
degree: Associate of Arts, Currently working on Associate in Science for web design.
What do i do: I work on an air search radar on a frigate in the US navy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
got a B.A. in Communication @ bryant univ.
work @: Starbucks & local restaurant
what i do: make coffee, serve beer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
School : Hamilton College
Currently a double major in Computer Science and Economics. I love the CS professors here, average about 4-5 students per class, 5 professors in the department who you really get to know well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
School: Sutter Middle (lol)
I'm a super major thing in cool.
Holler. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
bachelor's from arizona state
customer service/tech support & part time library assistant....

evolve, what company do you work for? if you don't mind of course :) i have some friends trying to get me to join them doing the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
School: Glasgow University Scotland
Degree: Medicine
What I do: Work in Tesco's!!!!! (For all for you people that don't know it's like Morrison’s)

M

Merlinblack

hojkoff_101 said:
School: Glasgow University Scotland
Degree: Medicine
What I do: Work in Tesco's!!!!! (For all for you people that don't know it's like Morrison’s)

What if I don't know what Morrison's is :p

School NAIT
Diploma:Working on it in Computer System Technology
Job: I ref hockey :p I'm lucky enough to have my parents putting me through school.
My ultimate plan is to develop, and then hopefully work my way into system analysis or project managment. That's the stuff that earns you money and is quite a bit more interesting than hacking code all day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
school: Central Washington University
degree: BA in History
job: Run security for a large insurance company :yinyang:

currently working on certs in: A+, Network+, MCDST and MCSA

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
School: National University
Degree: Master's Software Engineering
What I do: Unix System Administrator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
School: University of Margaritaville.
Degree: Bachelors degree in Coconut Husking
What I do: Coconut Husking Technical Supervisor, but I've applied for a job in the R&D department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
High school drop out, got a BSc degree (in Geology!) whilst serving in the RAF and am currently an overpayed brain surgeon ... PPC brains that is .. I spend my working life improving the performance of the worlds largest air traffic control system.

Amen-Moses

L

lil

Education: BA (Hons) Geography
Employment: Ex-AppleCentre iLife Consultant, accredited to Apple Product Professional status.

Current Employment: Between jobs.... *sniff*
What do I do: Mac user, artist and writer, programmer and web design.

http://www.lilserenity.com

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I'm studying graphic design at Cornwall College (UK) hoping to go on to do a BA in graphic design and get a job in the industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
Working on an Information Science Degree at the university of Arkansas at Little Rock

S

sursuciofla

Degrees: Associate of Arts in Art and Associate of Arts in Business Administration

Degrees in progress: Bachelor of Arts in Studio (graphic design+photography) and Bachelor or Science in Art Marketing (both will be completed Fall '06)

Currently work for a department in the school doing video editing.

From what people have told me BFA to MFA for art students is good b/c they are "professional" degrees but if you are good and have a good portfolio and experience as far as internships and good contacts you can make it with a BA and an MA. A degree is pretty much a degree any way you slice it. My father has a Master's in history and what he does, which is government related, is not anything for what he went to school for.

I want to be a freelance photographer and own my own design company. I also want to own a gallery which focus on up and coming artists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Merlinblack said:
What if I don't know what Morrison's is :p

Then you're a spoon!

lil can I just ask, what made you do a degree in geography? You seem very into your computers. Whenever you answer one of my questions I’m sure that most of it's not in English! Did you ever consider a degree in computer science or something like that?

L

lil

Hey there :flower:

If I got a pound for everyone who asked that, hehe. But I'll explain succinctly. This was not a decision of arrogance or "I am better than that", but I just felt a Computer Science Degree couldn't offer me anything I didn't already know or would soon learn, as it stands I can program in C, C++, Objective C, PHP, SQL, VisualBASIC, Visual BASIC for Applications and probably a whole kaboodle of defunct languages. My knowledge on databases is such that I wrote a whole system that now runs a successful business... And I have done all this without the need for a computer science degree.

Beyond this was my motivation for going to Uni' itself, it wasn't simply to expand my pay packet potential at the end of the day, I wanted to do something that I was deeply interested in and felt would expand me as a person in other ways. geography was that, I love learning about people, society and I adore travelling - I thrive on it. It was new, challenging and fresh, and ultimately for me more rewarding that sitting down in a room going through dumb ADA or Pascal programs ;) I could do the computer bit in my own time whilst doing another degree that benefitted me as a person in ways that computer science would not have.

I'm good with computers, especially Macs, I like computers too, but my fingers remain in many pies :flower:

Vicky (...and that was the short answer...!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.