time Machine experts needed, sparsebundle problem

Reaction score
hi all..
i got a Macbook pro and and external USB HDD ...

Now my problem is that my USB HDD is also used to Documents and files...So i can use it just for time machine ? or Can i ?

Is it possible to Create a sparsebundle blank disk image on the external HDD and Get time machine to backup to the Sparsebundle Image which is located on the External USb HDD.

the reason i want to do this is so i can use the USB Disk for documents and other stuff and not just time machine...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Time Machine does not have a problem sharing the drive with other folders. Just start up Time Machine. There is no need to manually create a sparsebundle, TM will do that all on it's own.

While not recommended:
I have been using a Time Capsule for TM backups of 3 Macs now, along with a separate iTunes backup and another folder in which I keep a copy of my Win 7 HTPC drivers/software for 4 years.

OP
H
Reaction score
yes but then Timemachine, how will i stop timemachine from filling up my external HDD..
preferably without partitioning the External HDD.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You won't stop it from filling up the drive.

Whether it will fill it up depends on how much stuff you move on and off the machine. I have 1 Mac (my wife's) who's TM backup file after 4 years is less than 40GB in size. My personal primary Mac, I have to delete the existing TM backup and start it over again every 9-12 months because I do a whole lot of in and out data along with Aperture database, big iTunes library and virtual machines and it can grow to over 600 GB in a relatively short period of time. Just depends on how you are using your machine.

If you want to set a limit on the size of the TM backup, then you should partition the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.