How do I make an older Photoshop my default Photoshop?

Reaction score
I use both Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop CS5 but I'd like CS2 to be my default Photoshop but the Mac always opens up CS5 given the chance (if I don't specify CS2) because, I presume, it's newer. How can I make CS2 the default one?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There might be a more elegant way to do this but here's one that's pretty easy.

1. Find a file you want to open in the older version of Photoshop and select it.
2. Press Command I to being up the Get Info window. If necessary click the triangle next to "Open With".
3. Select the older version of Photoshop from the app list then choose "Change All".

Reaction score
I use both Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop CS5 but I'd like CS2 to be my default Photoshop but the Mac always opens up CS5 given the chance (if I don't specify CS2) because, I presume, it's newer. How can I make CS2 the default one?

I assume that you're opening the files from folders in the Finder window?

If so, try one of these:

Method 1:
◆Single-click any single image in the Finder window to highlight it
◆Go to File>Get Info
◆Scroll down to Open With
◆Select PhotoShop CS2 from the dropdown menu
◆Underneath that, where it says: "Use this application to open all documents like this one", select Change All...
At this point, the warning will come up saying something like: "Are you sure you want to change all similar documents to open with the application Adobe Photoshop CS2 ?" and "This will apply to all documents with extension "TIFF" (or whatever format you chose to open).
At this point you're free to consider whether this is really what you want because it will apply to all TIFFS. You will also have to do the same process for JPEG and any other formats you want to default to Photoshop CS2. And, of course, this can be reversed by the same process. You will still be able to open individual files with Preview or whatever by using the Open With function.

A caveat or two regarding this process ;D
1) I assume that this will also open iPhoto files in CS2 but i don't know that because I don't use iPhoto.
2) Anything that you might WANT to open in Preview will be affected, like JPEGS on the web, or anything else that you only want to preview and not edit. Of course, you can always Control Click anything to use Preview.

Method 2:
◆Open each folder that contains the images that you want to default to CS2.
◆Go to Edit>Select All
◆Go to File>Get Info
◆Scroll down to Open With
◆Select PhotoShop CS2 from the drop down menu of each individual image

This will only open the specific files that you want to open in CS2 but is also much more time-consuming if you have hundreds or thousands of images.

There might be a better method but I'm not aware of it. Someone else might chime in.

And finally: I stayed at the Holiday Inn last night....:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.