Looking for powerful system on a budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi. I recently got a dazzle capture card to record my video games so I can make montages. This comes with pinnacle, and the software in really limited, and also my laptop is a bit under powered for this. I was looking into getting a iMac desktop, but I am really new to them. The only times I have use a mac was like 8 years ago when I was 8 and in 4th grade with those orange laptop ones, and the really huge blue ones as I remember them. And the reason I want to make the switch is because I am in a Graphic design class, and we use the newer models, and I really like them. It is really simple for me to get the hang of photoshop, and the other things on how it works. I know that macs are more user friendly. Anyway, I been doing some video editing, and I am liking it, and I want to make the switch to a iMac.

I am on a budget with about $1200. Do you think the starter iMac will do really well with editing videos? And I am kind of looking forward to using this for at least 3 years +.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi. I recently got a dazzle capture card to record my video games so I can make montages. This comes with pinnacle, and the software in really limited, and also my laptop is a bit under powered for this. I was looking into getting a iMac desktop, but I am really new to them. The only times I have use a mac was like 8 years ago when I was 8 and in 4th grade with those orange laptop ones, and the really huge blue ones as I remember them. And the reason I want to make the switch is because I am in a Graphic design class, and we use the newer models, and I really like them. It is really simple for me to get the hang of photoshop, and the other things on how it works. I know that macs are more user friendly. Anyway, I been doing some video editing, and I am liking it, and I want to make the switch to a iMac.

I am on a budget with about $1200. Do you think the starter iMac will do really well with editing videos? And I am kind of looking forward to using this for at least 3 years +.
I am not familiar with the Dazzle card, but any new iMac should be well capable of Photoshop and Video editing. I would suggest you look in the Refub store; some good values there. Machines are like new with same as new warranty, but substantial discount.

Here is an example:

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 $1019
Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

or stretching your $1200 budget just a bit, we have:

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 $1249
Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.