MacBook Pro died

Reaction score
When on skype earlier today, my macbook pro froze and the image on the screen was distorted and pixelated. Then the screen went black and it started beeping. Now I can't turn my macbook pro on. When I try to, my mac just beeps and the power light blinks. I turned it off and let it sit for a couple of hours, and when I try to turn it back on, it won't. It still just beeps and blinks. Does anyone have any idea what this could be caused by? Is it a virus? What should my next step be? Thanks for your time!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you recently added memory to your MacBook Pro? The beeping is usually an indication of a memory problem.

Also... I removed your email address from the post. Putting your email address in a public post can draw spam.

OP
H
Reaction score
No, I have not added any memory. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time I took it into best buy, where my warranty is. They sent it off (it took four weeks). They gave me the same macbook pro back, and now a month later the same thing. I can't not have a laptop again for four weeks. Is there anyway I can fix this problem on my own?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't attempt any repairs myself. Since the warranty is with Best Buy take it on back to them, but this time see the Geek Squad manager. It shouldn't take them 4 weeks to repair something and then have it fail again for the same reason.

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing except it looked up about 12 times before falling into the beeping death. I have heart burn b/c I bought this system on the 9th of Dec and it's now the 21st... I have half a mind to return the POS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mine is doing the same thing except it looked up about 12 times before falling into the beeping death. I have heart burn b/c I bought this system on the 9th of Dec and it's now the 21st... I have half a mind to return the POS.

Personally, I'd pop the bottom panel and reseat the memory (it's probably a little loose) - and if that didn't do the trick, I'd take it back and get it swapped out.

Reaction score
I have to give it up to the customer service that I got from Apple on this... took it into the store and they gave me a new laptop under an hour. They tried replacing the memory and it didn't fix the problem... so it was replaced. Very impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I have to give it up to the customer service that I got from Apple on this... took it into the store and they gave me a new laptop under an hour. They tried replacing the memory and it didn't fix the problem... so it was replaced. Very impressed.

That's good you got it taken care of. I love their support too, when my iPod Touch screen started to flicker a few years ago, I took it in and they replaced it within 5minutes of me walking in the store, and this was two days before my warranty was up. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.