Which case do you recommend?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Both cases look great, but I personally couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a case, especially when there are a lot of other cheaper options that look just as good.

OP
S
Reaction score
Both cases look great, but I personally couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a case, especially when there are a lot of other cheaper options that look just as good.

alright and which one would you choose? hard case or soft case?

I don't really know which one protects better. The Ion 4 has a lip on the top and the formula 4 doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have an otterbox commuter (iPhone 4S Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com), so far I really like it. Almost as much as the spec I had on my 3gs (cept that the corners ripped on the thing eventually). It's not as protective as the defender my wife has on hers, but I generally don't need massive armor.

OP
S
Reaction score
Why do they look "useless"? They both got some very good reviews and I'd like to have a case which has a nice style and protection.
I don't wanna hold a huge box in my hand (like one of the cases you posted above)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the one that I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDU0B0/?tag=macforums0e4-20

It's survived multiple drops and still looks like new, albeit with a few nicks in it for character. All the ports are easily accessible and it still plugs into my iHome clock radio with no issues at all. And the best part is, it's a 1/3 of the price of what you're looking at from that no-name company.

Not sure why companies think they can tack the word "elite" onto a hunk of plastic and silicone and get away with charging that kind of money. It's just a case for cripes sake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Why do they look "useless"? They both got some very good reviews and I'd like to have a case which has a nice style and protection.
I don't wanna hold a huge box in my hand (like one of the cases you posted above)

Style? They're fairly generic looking IMO, a dime a dozen. Plus they look like every other case which only protects the sides and back. I see tons of iPhone 4 and 4s with shattered screens because of those "stylish" cases. But hey, what do I know I guess. It's your prerogative.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
Here's the one that I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-SURFACE...2447198&sr=8-2?tag=macforums0e4-20

It's survived multiple drops and still looks like new, albeit with a few nicks in it for character. All the ports are easily accessible and it still plugs into my iHome clock radio with no issues at all. And the best part is, it's a 1/3 of the price of what you're looking at from that no-name company.

Not sure why companies think they can tack the word "elite" onto a hunk of plastic and silicone and get away with charging that kind of money. It's just a case for cripes sake.

It doesn't mean that this company makes bad cases just because it's a no name company. From what I've read this company makes pretty good cases!
i don't very like this case... it is just a normal one which looks like any other cases...

@Doug
but the ones i posted have a pretty good mixture! They protect well and look good! I haven't seen a (normal size) better soft case for protection than the Ion 4

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't mean that this company makes bad cases just because it's a no name company.

What I meant by that is that they're not one of the major players... not that they aren't perfectly good cases. It just seems like a lot of money for what amounts to a commodity item that you'll likely throw out before the phone is beyond its useful lifespan. Cases are supposed to take the abuse so that your phone doesn't have to.

From what I've read this company makes pretty good cases!

I'm sure they do. Sounds like you've got your mind made up... so go for it!

i don't very like this case... it is just a normal one which looks like any other cases...

And? It's a case, not a sports car. Who cares what it looks like if it protects the phone and still fits comfortably in your pocket, while keeping the phone accessible? Look, if aesthetics are you're biggest criteria for a case, then it sounds like you've already picked a winner. My point is, there's lots of cases out there, most much cheaper and still just as functional, for a fraction of the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
@Doug
but the ones i posted have a pretty good mixture! They protect well and look good! I haven't seen a (normal size) better soft case for protection than the Ion 4

All I can tell you from a lot of experience is that if the front part of the case isn't recessed a fair bit more than those you've shown me, the phone has a very good chance of landing screen/face first and cracking or shattering. And while it's true that you might just luck out and not have it do that, I just wouldn't suggest taking the chance. That said, good luck.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
What I meant by that is that they're not one of the major players... not that they aren't perfectly good cases. It just seems like a lot of money for what amounts to a commodity item that you'll likely throw out before the phone is beyond its useful lifespan. Cases are supposed to take the abuse so that your phone doesn't have to.

I'm sure they do. Sounds like you've got your mind made up... so go for it!

And? It's a case, not a sports car. Who cares what it looks like if it protects the phone and still fits comfortably in your pocket, while keeping the phone accessible? Look, if aesthetics are you're biggest criteria for a case, then it sounds like you've already picked a winner. My point is, there's lots of cases out there, most much cheaper and still just as functional, for a fraction of the price.

yes you're right but the price doesn't really matter for me because I get it cheaper! (I am German so it is even cheaper for me)
I agree with you that it is supposed to protect the iPhone but i don't want to carry a stone everyday in my pocket.
Unfortunately i haven't decided yet :/ finding a case is horrible...
I think that this one has a good protection(shock absorbing corners) which the other cases don't have.

OP
S
Reaction score
Alright i realized that protection is important so I found some good ones:
Incipio iPhone 4 4S Delta Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core, iPhone 4 Cases, iPhone 4S Cases, iPhone 4 Hard Cases, iPhone 4S Soft Cases, iPhone 4 Carrying Cases, iPhone 4S Protective Cases
Incipio iPhone 4 4S SILICRYLIC Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core, iPhone 4 Cases, iPhone 4S Cases, iPhone 4 Hard Cases, iPhone 4S Soft Cases, iPhone 4 Carrying Cases, iPhone 4S Protective Cases
The silicrylic, however, has a very thin silicone protection but it isn't that bulky. On the other side the delta case has very good protection but I think it too bulky.
So i think about 3 cases now (ION 4, silicrylic and delta) but i can't really decide...
Maybe i should buy 2 cases?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.