External Hard Drive Not Showing Up In My iMac

Reaction score
I pulled out the 2 internal hard drives I had in my old G4. I have all the proper cables and AC power supply to connect to my old HD. I plugged it into my new iMac via USB and nothing shows up. Not on the desktop nor in finder. The old hard drive is running, making normal running noises so I know its getting a good supply of power. Is there a process I must do in order for my iMac to recognize my old hard drive? I tried plugging both of them and its the same issue with both of them so I know there is nothing wrong with the old hard drives. I need to get pictures from my old HD to my new computer, how can I make my old HD show up on my new iMac so I can transfer files. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I pulled out the 2 internal hard drives I had in my old G4. I have all the proper cables and AC power supply to connect to my old HD. I plugged it into my new iMac via USB and nothing shows up. Not on the desktop nor in finder. The old hard drive is running, making normal running noises so I know its getting a good supply of power. Is there a process I must do in order for my iMac to recognize my old hard drive? I tried plugging both of them and its the same issue with both of them so I know there is nothing wrong with the old hard drives. I need to get pictures from my old HD to my new computer, how can I make my old HD show up on my new iMac so I can transfer files. Thanks.

If you have DiskWarrior it will usually show the drives and you can rebuild them. They will then mount on the desk top.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.