Missing hard drive space...

Reaction score
I have a Pro Mac Tower that is running Snow Leopard 10.6.4. It is about two or three years old. It has two hard drives in it. The main drive labeled Macintosh HD is the one I am having an issue with. There are hardly any files ( that I can see ) on the drive beyond the OS but the drive shows as being almost full. I went in to finder to view all of the visible and non visible files and folders but nothing adds up to the drive being full. All of my media and documents are on the second HD which is showing the correct amount of space filled. I don't know if its a drive space allocation issue or something else. I checked all the log files, searched out and deleted any duplicate files, but things just don't add up to the drive showing as full. Please help !!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Where did all my hard drive space go?

I have a used Mac Pro tower that is about three years old. It is running OS X 10.6.4. It has two hard drives in it. One is the main drive labeled Macintosh HD and the other is a drive the previous owner labeled as back-up. The back up drive is 500gb and the main drive is showing 250gb total capacity. The main drive is the one I am having an issue with. I have not made any changes to the machine since I got it and it was pretty much wiped clean. The drive is showing as almost full yet when I look in Finder at all the foldersand files both hidden and visible, nothing adds up to the drive being nearly full. The only thing on the drive is the OS and a few miscellaneous things but nothing huge enough to fill the drive. I think it may be a drive space allocation issue but I don't know how to check for that or how to fix it if it is the problem. Could the drive really be a 500gb drive but it isn't allocated or partitioned correctly? How do I check for this and how do I fix it? Please Help !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You have double-posted. Please read the other post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. It just puzzles me that a hard drive can look as though its full yet there is hardly anything on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.