Consolidating external harddrives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey guys,

I have several USB harddrives and I've had enough of shuffling files around on external disks.

I would like to have just a single volume and preferably have an automatic backup of that as well.

My first thought was to get a Drobo and shove a few of these drives into that, but I wanted to get some other opinions first. A colleague has suggested buying a Synology NAS and plugging a large external drive into that for backup purposes.

My uses for external drives are:
- Storing media (Large Aperture libraries, movies etc.)
- Backing up (I have Time machine and full disk backup partitions on two separate drives)

I'm thinking Drobo would give me the redundancy I'm after with minimal fuss - a NAS solution would help consolidate 2 drives and have other benefit, but doesn't offer the same level of redundancy.

Any other thoughts?
Cheers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Aptmunich...how much storage capacity are you thinking?...what sort of number do you have in mind?

- Nick

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently have about 3TB in external storage connected, of which I probably use about 1.5TB (including backups etc.)

I'd like to have about 4TB I suppose, but more importantly some of the media I currently have isn't backed up, so having a built-in backup (Raid 5 style) would be ideal.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Tough decisions. I was down to either a Drobo or a QNAP when I was looking a few months ago. Just couldn't put the cash together for the ones I wanted - or should say I couldn't bring myself to spend that much for them and ended up going with a use your own drives Newertech RAID 1 quad interface from OWC instead. Good luck with the decision making.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: I ended up going with a Synology DS411 Diskstation. Loving it so far: I've added all my media drives to it and am only keeping 1 external drive for an extra back up of really important stuff in case of some sort of RAID catastrophe.

But the interface is really nice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.