Hard drive failing and want to ghost bootcamp...is this possible?

Reaction score
Dear all,

You'll have to pardon me, but my knowledge of Macs is quite limited as I have only been a MBP owner for 2 months. Ok, so as mentioned my MBP is about 2 months old. About 1.5 weeks ago while I was using the OS X system a prompt kept popping up telling me to restart my computer (in many different languages). I took it to a genius bar...the long and short of it they had to replace my hard drive, logic board, ram sticks and a few other things!:Shouting: But they were still unable to install the OS with the new hard drive. Now they have put my old hard drive back in while I wait 3 weeks for a replacement comp (coming from the states) with only the boot camp drive functional. Apparently the mac HD is totally corrupted. So I need to try and ghost all the programs onto an external hard drive to try and load onto the new comp once it arrives. Was thinking about using Norton Ghost. Is this possible or not? Would really appreciate your help as I am so useless with these matters.

Thanks a bunch,

Jenny

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you tryiIng to use Ghost to copy both the Mac and Windows partition. If so I don't think Ghost will do that though it should copy the Windows side. If the Mac side can be copied (doubtful due to the apparent extent of corruption) it would need to be witha Mac program such as SuperDuper.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure Norton Ghost will be able to a Boot Camp partition. I've tried using Acronis True Image and while it will create the image, it refuses to restore it. Norton Ghost may work differently. It definitely will not clone the Mac partition.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know WinClone is no longer supported by the developer, but I've never had any trouble with it backing up my Windows partitions created under Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Never got any of those mentioned to bcd up Bootcamp. Clean install is the only option that seems to work with Bootcamp alas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
WinClone is a bit shaky but it does seem to work with Boot Camp partitions formatted to NTFS. If the partition is FAT-32, forget it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.