changing folder permissions

Reaction score
My library folder (located under my Mac folder) has Read Only permissions to wheel and everyone (and read and write permissions to Fetching). I want to change all permissions to Read and Write but the area is greyed out and doesn't give me the option to change it. How do I fix it so I can change these permission??

Thanks!!!
Mickey

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're talking about /Library or /System/Library, the permissions are limited for a reason. There should be no reason to have write privileges to that directory as a regular user. Why do you need write privileges?

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Vansmith for your quick response!!!
I have a software called babylon (a translator) that I recently migrated from my other computer. (I also upgraded my mac-mini to lion which I'm not sure has anything to do with that as the software worked well before). Every time it launched it required I input my registration number. I contacted the support group which gave me the following instruction that should fix the problem:

They asked me to delete a file and then do the following:

Go to : Mac\users\*user you’re logged in* \Library\Right Click on the “Preferences” folder and press the “Get info”.
Change all the users permission to “Read & Write”.

Go to :Mac\Library\Right Click on the “Preferences” folder and press the “Get info”.

Change all the users permission to “Read & Write”.

When I attempted to follow them and make all permissions read/right I noticed I can't do that.
Now when I launch the translator and input in the registration number it says: "Babylon cannot update preferences directory, your license can not be saved."

Any ideas??

Thanks again!!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The first Library folder (your user one) is writable by default so you shouldn't have to change that. You don't have read/write permissions to the second one for good reason. In fact, I have to question the credibility of the tech support agent you talked to if they want to you change the permissions of the entire folder to read/write.

Is there perhaps a particular folder in /Library that you need to work with?

OP
D
Reaction score
The folder in Library that he requested I delete the file is preferences but I can't change this folder's permissions too. You have a very good point about their credibility. I'll go back and challenge their instructions. Thanks!!!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did he say to delete the whole preferences folder? If so, I'd ask to speak to a different agent. To be blunt, he clearly has no idea what he's doing. His solution is overkill and at best, it's a blanket solution (which makes me really think that he had no idea what he was talking about).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Did he say to delete the whole preferences folder? If so, I'd ask to speak to a different agent. To be blunt, he clearly has no idea what he's doing. His solution is overkill and at best, it's a blanket solution (which makes me really think that he had no idea what he was talking about).

Eh, it DOES work though ;)

If you decided to try this, just move the /Library/Preferences folder to a different name. Same same... and reversible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.