Iphone 4 & 4s GPS Quality

Reaction score
I have a 3gs and the gps is crap, thinking of upgrading to 4 or 4s. Just wondering if the gps chip is of better quality. I am from the UK so any member from UK would be great to get your feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
What do you intend on using it for?

I have the 4 and find the GPS is adequate for my needs, but I don't using it for driving. Mainly for apps that need "Location services" - such as facebook and the like, where only an approximate location is ever really needed.

Having said that, I'm off snowboarding in a few weeks, so will be using it extensively then to plot tracks and collate other data. Combined with a decent tracking app, I fully expect it to meet my expectations, and am sure that it will.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I will need it to be completely accurate when I use it but will not need it that often.

Thats why Im not sure whether or not to invest in a stand a lone device....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
That's why I asked what you want to use it for.

If it's just for tagging posts on Facebook et al, then it'll be fine for that. If you're using it to trek across The Arctic, then you may want to invest in a proper GPS device.

If you want it for driving, can't give you an answer I'm afraid. I use the inbuilt GPS in my car, but people seem generally happy with the phone as a car navigation option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Driving's been more than sufficiently accurate. If you're looking to use it for surveying (as in land surveying, or say.. archaeological digs I wouldn't trust it).

So, what's your intended use? That will determine the GPS device you need (I woudn't use a handheld GPS for surveying use either).

OP
M
Reaction score
Just to get to a destination that Im not familiar with. City driving is also an issue as the city near me I hardly ever go except for shopping etc and its hard to get about....

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It will be fine. I was using the GPS the other day - and it was just as good as my built-in Nav - and in some ways - better. BTW - check out the Waze app - it's an excellent idea and seems to work really well. Actually - I used my iPad 1 with no issues as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.