Lion freezing during updates

Reaction score
Hi im Daniel, and im new to the board. Im having an issue with my early 2011 mac book pro, started with snow leopard and updated to lion.

ABOUT THIS MAC-
2 GHz intel core i7
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
os x lion 10.7.2 (11c74)

THE ISSUE
okay whenever i try to do a system update it will download the update, then i go to install it gets all the way to the point were it says "applying (4) updates DO NOT POWER DOWN" then it freezes, the first few times it did it i waited 24hrs and it never changed. then i realized it wasnt going to change so i had to power down to get out of it. Anyone have a clue as to what may be wrong with my mac? i tried googling it and came up with nothing so this must not be a "typical" issue. If you need more system specs or anything like that just let me know and ill try to get them. i really dont wanna have to drive all the out to apple. Thanks in advance,
D.G

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like it's trying to do a firmware update and failing for some reason. Try doing a PRAM reset (turn the machine off, turn it back on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R, continue holding until the system chimes twice and then release).

Once that's done, try the update again.

OP
D
Reaction score
It sounds like it's trying to do a firmware update and failing for some reason. Try doing a PRAM reset (turn the machine off, turn it back on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R, continue holding until the system chimes twice and then release).

Once that's done, try the update again.

okay ill give that a shot and update you either way it turns out. Thanks for your help!

OP
D
Reaction score
So i tried it and .... IT WORKED! thanks so much.... you da man lol i had to download about 5 different updates and restart 5 times but it worked. Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.