home folder within home folder, cant remove

Reaction score
Hi

We had a power cut a few days ago which seems to have caused a few problems (Loss of data etc) and I restored my user folder from time machine.

For some reason though it seems to have duplicated my user/home folder within one directory that is under the main user folder.

See screen shot at: https://img.skitch.com/20111127-rfan...cn9gqewfhb.jpg

/Users/johncogan/sites/johncogan that shouldn't be there

Problem is the Mac seems to think everything I save should go into this and it is causing me end of problems.

Tried to move this to trash but tyhe mac tells me I cant cause it needs it.

Is there any way please that I could solve this?

Thanks
John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We had a power cut a few days ago which seems to have caused a few problems (Loss of data etc) and I restored my user folder from time machine.

You should never have to restore the user folder itself, only those folders and files under the user folder that were missing or damaged.

How far back does your Time Machine backups go and do you have a complete backup of everything? If you have full backups and can go back before you did the restore of the user folder, my suggestion would be to do a full restore. If some data is lost, you can use Time Machine to further restore just the lost data.

OP
J
Reaction score
Goes back several weeks.

Part of the problem was that during the power cut it was mid way through a backup. The result was that upon powering up everything was lost on the mac itself apart from the applications. But all app settings and user data was reset to a "clean" install of Mac OSX Lion.

I opened time machine and restored my user folder but (Been a Mac noob) I restored it to the wrong place and this I think resulted in the position I am in now.

Or was in. I have resolved this the long and hard way by creating a second administration user on the Mac and copied all files across and deleted the original user.

In case of this happening again (I bought a UPS as well) is there any 1-click time machine solution that will restore all my settings, software registrations, bookmarks etc ?

I had to do this folder by folder the first time round and still got it horribly worng.

TIA

John
A.K.A. Mac noob

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You did good. :) Creating a new user and copying everything over was next on my list to you. You were one step ahead.

As far as a one click backup goes, there really is none I would recommend. However what I do recommend is to use cloning software in conjunction with Time Machine. I keep several external hard drives for backup purposes; one for cloning, the other for Time Machine.

Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper both will clone your hard drive to an external and at the same time render the external bootable.

Of the two, SuperDuper is a bit more sophisticated but both will do the job.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for that chs I will look at both of those applications.

Will having a clone of the Mac drive allow (In a drastic situation) me to copy over the Mac install with the clone ?

In terms of external hard drive, what size will I need for this? My time machine backups go to a 2 TB external already, partitioned to two 1Tb. The 2nd partition is used ofr general files etc and the first is completely dedicated to Time Machine.

My assumption is I can use 500 Gb of the second for the clone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A 500 GB hard drive should be fine for cloning. And yes, the clone will allow you to completely restore to whatever state the system was is at the time the clone was made. I use cloning quite often in situations when major OS upgrades are to be made. It can save you a lot of headaches if an update to the OS goes wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.