Contacts problem

Reaction score
Hi all,

My partner got the new iPhone so I've got his old 3GS. Anyway, I put my sim into it and adjusted the contacts list to mine.

However, it changed all the contacts on my partners new phone too so he lost all of his and ended up with mine.

So he's now put his right and I've now lost all my contacts.

Why does this happen and how do I stop it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello, how did you adjust the contacts list?

In iOS5 there appears to be only one command i.e. 'Import Sim Contacts' on my iPhone.
Did you put your old Sim card into both phones..why would you do that?

OP
C
Reaction score
I didn't put my sim into both phones. Just the one my partner gave to me. And I manually added my contacts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I can't understand why it changed the contacts on your partners phone if all you did was put it into the 3GS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like perhaps the sims got swapped perhaps or maybe you should have used your own sim? The sim your partner gave you..did that have his contacts on?

Anyway if your partner's phone is now ok then your's is the problem. Try seeing if this works, clear the contacts in the 3GS, then take the sim out and clear all of the contacts using you cell phone provider's store facilities or a USB sim card reader before you put it back into your 3GS. Then manually put your contacts back in.

The link below also has some interesting info.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4994?viewlocale=en_US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
it sounds to me like both iPhones are using the same Apple ID for iCloud. So naturally, when you change the contacts on one iPhone, it syncs the changes to the other. You should restore the iPhone to factory status and set up your own Apple ID on it.

Alternatively, go to the Settings app, tap General, then Reset, then Erase All Content and Settings. This will serve the same purpose as a restore.

Alternatively… go to the Settings app, tap iCloud, scroll to the bottom and tap Delete Account. You can then set up your own. This has the advantage of not requiring you to reinstall/repurchase any apps on the phone, but they won't be tied to your own Apple ID either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.