Running windows with Bootcamp for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello There,

I could not seem to find any threads matching my issue.

I am wondering if it is possible to install a windows operating system without using and disks and not having to buy windows. I would like to start windows as a separate operating system.

If this is a duplicate thread, many apologies and could you forward me onto the other thread?

Many Thanks

Sam

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello There,

I could not seem to find any threads matching my issue.

I am wondering if it is possible to install a windows operating system without using and disks and not having to buy windows. I would like to start windows as a separate operating system.

If this is a duplicate thread, many apologies and could you forward me onto the other thread?

Many Thanks

Sam
You will need a properly licensed copy of Windows. We do not support software piracy, even when it is Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will need to purchase a Windows operating system. Like on a PC after installing using Bootcamp it is necessary to activate using the key code supplied by Microsoft.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info, didn't know if there was any sort of free mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No Microsoft or Apple operating systems are free, other than some mid 1990 systems released by Apple f.o.c.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I didn't have to pay for lion, but I guess that was an exeption

You did, unless it was bundled with your machine (and even then, you paid for it in the price of the new machine).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you want free you will have to look at Linux Distros.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok tell us just how your friend got you a free copy legally? Sure I could go buy all my friends Lion and give it to them, but I have a strong feeling your friend did not do that. If it's stolen, we will not allow discussion of that here. Same with Windows, You pay for Windows and OSX.

Please tell us more.

OP
S
Reaction score
friend works for apple, and told me about how I could upgrade for free if my laptop was purchased within a certain time. Happy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why didn't you say that in the first place? In any event, the price of Lion was in fact included even though it was a free upgrade.

Also, I'm going to close off this thread as it's going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.