Mac Mini CDR capacities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Hi Folks,

I have a first generation Mac Mini which came with the combo CDR/DVD drive. I'm sure this is probably answered with "go buy Toast" or something like that, but it seems that this drive is a bit schizophrenic about how much data it can burn. It reads 700 meg CDs just fine, but if I try to burn a CD over 650 mb it tells me that it cannot. It cannot seem to copy 700mb discs either even though it can read them during the "copy disk" procedure.

Itunes, on the other hand has no problems burning 700 meg of data to a CDR, since I create data CDs on a Windows laptop that have 700 meg of .wavs on them. Itunes imports them into a playlist just fine, and when I command it to burn a CD it does so with no complaint (once I tell Finder to ignore the new CDR.)

So is there a switch or something where I can tell Finder 'Yo! You have a 700meg capable CD attached here, use all 700megs when drag/drop CD burning!" or is this just one of those things that I need a third party (like iTunes, but for data cds) for?

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

its depends on how the rate what a MB. if they are using 1Mb =1000K or 1MB=1024k usally for rating size and storage they use the 1mb=1000k but computers dont read it that way. so when you have a 700mb CD you really only have about 680mb and sometimes that can be less depending on what quality cd you are using.

OP
walkerj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.