Time Machine issue

pdx

Reaction score
HI

I have a 2TB LaCie drive used to back up my iMac's 2TB hardrive. Yesterday I received the message below. What do I do?

Screen shot 2011-11-26 at 2.26.05 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Do as the error msg says.
Either get a BIGGER Ext HD to back up too, or exclude some files so it fits on the Disk.
I would get a bigger Ext HD bc the one now is running out of space and you will be forever excluding files to do the backup . .

Cheers

OP
P

pdx

Reaction score
thanks tattoed,

I'm figuring that out as I search online... for the time being any suggestions for files/folders to exclude that wouldn't hurt a restore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
thanks tattoed,

I'm figuring that out as I search online... for the time being any suggestions for files/folders to exclude that wouldn't hurt a restore?
At 325GB you must be backing up something that's pretty big like a music or photo collection. It's really a matter of what's most important to you (and what's biggest) which directories or disks you decide to exclude.

OP
P

pdx

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!

I figured it out. I excluded my torrented and DVD-rips movie folder.
I can always replace those if I have to, everything else is pretty irreplaceable.
Eventually I'll have to get a 3 TB drive though.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you running any virtual machine software such as Parallels or Fusion, If so exclude those files. The get changed each time the virtual machine is opened and become candidates for Time Machine backup.

You might find this article helpful in deciding which files to exclude ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
And if you're using Entourage as an email client, exclude the Microsoft User Data folder inside your Documents. Entourage and Time Machine do not play well together. This is not an issue with Outlook 2011 though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.