"Streaming" video issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro i7____ imac i5____ iPhone 3Gs
My issue:
Whenever i try to stream (watch) anything on my laptop the video messes up and freezes while the sound is still fine. Youtube works fine but online streams from say, twitch.tv dont work (among many others, also firefox and chrome give the same result). This is on an i7 macbook pro with a fast internet connection.

I have an imac i5 on the same internet connection and everything works fine. I tried to search for options and simply reinstalling DiVx hasn't helped.

Feedback would be appreciated,
Bas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Have you updated your Adobe Flash Player? Flash 11.1 works well for me on twitch.tv.
Or, other appropriate helpers possibly used on other sites? Perian and Silverlight, etc.

Also do some generic troubleshooting and compare results on speedtest or speakeasy or dslreports between both computers.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have updated Adobe flash player and silverlight, but the problem persists.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1615200093.png
Speed test on laptop (wireless) - 58Mb/s D/ 5Mb/s U

On imac (wired) - 59Mb/s D/ 5Mb/s U

No difference in those really, any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Generic "possible" fix:
Repair the hard drive -
Restart the Mac from install DVD (or recovery partition in Lion), and instead of Continuing the Install, find Disk Utility in the top Finder menus and use that to repair the hard drive.

If that doesn't help - Create a new User and log in as that user to see if the same thing happens.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm making a new account seems to fix it, I guess this is a decent solution (better for me than reinstalling since it would require a lot of effort).

Does this mean its fixable on my other account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
When it works from a different account, that means that a preference file is corrupted in your main user account. So, go to your_user/Library/Preferences, and delete any pref file that seems to relate to internet/safari/firefox (don't worry - these are re-created when you start the program(s) ).

When you delete prefs, you may need to re-create locations in Network prefs, etc.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There seems to be no more Library folder in Lion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Look up top at the Menu Bar in Finder. Look for Go. Click on Go and hold down the option Key. The Library folder will appear. Try it. it works.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks i got it, would it work if i just delete the whole folder and replace it with the one from my other user?

And "you may need to re-create locations in Network prefs" What exactly does this mean? Does it work automatically when i use programs?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gsahli can you clarify please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
gsahli can you clarify please?

I think it will be less painful if you just delete pref files that are related to Safari or Firefox or Adobe Flash.
Look for files that are named com.apple.xxx.plist, or com.adobe.flash.xxx.xxx.plist or similar.

But, if you delete everything within the Preferences folder, it should re-create them after restart and application start.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just emptied my pref file and it seems to have worked without any consequences ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.