Printing Issue on Custom Size Cards

Reaction score
My iMac is running Mac OS X version 10.6.8 and my printer is a Canon i560.
I have just finished printing some custom size envelopes and all went well. Now I'm trying to print the 6.5" H x 4.75" W flat cards that go with them. Nothing I do seems to work.
I entered the custom size in the formatting, the preview looks perfect, but when I try to print on the custom size cards they are blank. I tried printing on an 8 1/2 x 11 size and it comes out with the perfectly sized image at the bottom of the page. I have tried troubleshooting all of this for 2 hours and can come up with nothing.

Can someone please help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us which program that's being used to print the envelopes and the cards? Office? Pages? or ???

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, it's Microsoft Office X and I created and tried to print the document in Word X.
Hope that helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft Office X is a very old version, however, looking at Word 2008 and 2011 you should be able to print those cards by choosing Page setup and selecting "manage custom sizes" and enter in 6.5" x 4.75". You'll see an outline of what it's supposed to look like.

I'm taking this from Word 2011 and I know that Word 2008 is the same, however, Word X for the Mac may be different. This works on both of my printers, an HP and Canon.

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually, that is what I did do. The image looks great in the preview, but somehow it is in the wrong location when I try to print. I put the 4 3/4H x 6 1/2 H card in the printer and move the guide over to the right to hold it. The card comes out blank. When I try to print it on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (with the previous size dimensions still entered), it prints down in the right hand corner of the page. I would have thought it might print in the top right hand corner of the page, as this is corner would be more like having it print on the custom size card. Does any of this make sense, as I'm not sure how else to describe it?
I had a sense that I shouldn't have created this in Word, even though the envelopes turned out ok.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think a lot depends on the printer itself. My HP LaserJet required some experimentation before I could get custom cards and odd sized envelopes to print correctly. The Canon does a better job but it costs more to print many cards since it's an inkjet printer.

You might try using landscape mode to see if the orientation makes a difference. Other than that, I've run out of suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.