MacBook Charging issue, help please!

Reaction score
Hi. I have a mac osx 10.6.8 I purchased in December 2009, it's a white macbook.

Just recently, I have been having problems with the charger connecting with the laptop. Should I clean the receiving/charger end, if so how? Am I in deep doodoo and need some expensive part? Does anyone have any home remedies so I don't have to go to a mac repair shop?

Thank you,

Nichole

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of problem are you having connecting? The MagSafe charging unit and adapter is magnetic and should "lock" on to the receptacle of your MacBook. Make sure both the connector and receptacle are free from debris especially things like small pieces of metal.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi Chscag. The magnet is still locking and there is no debris, maybe the tiniest bit of dirt I don't know how to clean. Other than that, the connection b/w the magsafe and laptop is becoming tenuous even though the magnet has the magsafe "locked" into the laptop. Last night I had to try about 20 times before the connection took and it started charging. I'm worried.

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it continues to give you problems, it might mean buying a new MagSafe Charger unit for your MacBook. Other World Computing stocks them for $24.99. However, if there's a problem with the connection receptacle that means an Apple in house repair.

Reaction score
you can get a magsafe i/o board fairly cheap on ebay and install that if you are still having trouble with it after getting another charger.

OP
N
Reaction score
JayGray, Thank you for the info! My charger does already look like that, and I had no idea apple replaces them. About two or three weeks ago I noticed the rubber separated near the magsafe output piece, and I just put a little electric tape around it because I thought it was dangerous but didn't realize it would affect the charging. I'll try to see if apple will replace it, otherwise I'll be on the lookout for my own replacement. Thank you everyone for your help.

Have a good day.

Nichole

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.