Self Assigned IP Address

Reaction score
Sorry I'm not that great with computers, bought an iMac just over a month ago. Already having problems with it, every time i try to connect to my network it says self assigned IP address you will not be able to connect to the internet, but if i move the iMac closer to the router it works so i don't no if its a distance issue or what, the router is a new belkin one recommended at PC world for N network (don't really know what that means), thanks for any help its appreciated

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First welcome to Mac Forums.

Which model iMac did you get? Was it brand new or used? What version of OSX is on it?

How far are you from that Belkin router when you get the Self Assigned IP? I personally have seen many WiFi issues with some Belkin routers.

OP
T
Reaction score
Brand new mate, Mac OS X 10.7.2
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Don't know if you need to know that just copy and pasted it.
Its about 20/25 metres from the router, when i go to select a network on WiFi my network comes up with signal but like i said when i try to connect i just get the self assigned IP address message

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did a quick search converting to feet and got 82. That is a decent distance. How many bars in that WiFi indicator up there by the clock?

I get an IP even if it's pretty low in signal.

OP
T
Reaction score
At least 2 usually out of 4, the guy at the shop said this router is specifically for long distance signal but like i said it works when I'm closer so i don't get it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Try rebooting the router. If that doesn't work you may need to delete your network preferences and reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
you deleted /Library/Preferences, rebooted and it's still doing it?

Have you booted off of restore partition or media and tried to connect that way?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fact you DO get an IP if closer makes me wonder if it's the router. I get an IP with my iPad when there is one bar showing as with other my iMac also.

You do not have another WiFi router you could try in place of that do you?

OP
T
Reaction score
to Dsyfunction sorry but like i said i no literally nothing about computers so i don't even no what your on about, i was looking around before with people with the same problem and i tried a few different things and deleting the wifi from network preferences and rebooting didn't work if thats what you mean.
dtravis7 - yeah it was happening on my old router, thats why i got another one because the person in the shop said it was because the old router wasn't for N network which is what macs use, iv probably been ripped off i just want to get it sorted

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In a way you were lied to. Macs support A, B, G and N. Any router will work. N is faster though for sure but with most Internet speed, G is more than enough. I have both G and N routers and access points here in my network and every Mac works with all of them quite well. I can take my iPad down the street maybe 150+ feet and still see most of my routers and have both an IP and decent internet speed.

How close to you have to get to the Belkin to get an IP?

Feet if you could as I am not good with meters! :D

OP
T
Reaction score
it works about 25 feet away but i can't keep it there full time, il just have to ring apple i suppose if no one has any suggestions

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it never got an IP it would be easier to troubleshoot, but since it does 25' away, the router and the iMac are both working for sure.

Call Apple and tell them and see what happens. Do you have any other computer in the house with WiFi? Does it at that 80' get an IP and good WiFi?

Please do report back.

It really sounds like a signal strength issue. Real fast, what encryption you using on your WiFi? I hope it's not WEP!! WEP is easily hacked and troublesome with some macs.

OP
T
Reaction score
well i will ring them some time this week, yeah my old computer worked in the exact same spot and that was like 6 years old with a cheap wireless adapter of ebay.
Another quick question i have a wireless adapter for mac and it says it has like 70% signal but no internet still, do i have to go into the router settings and allow it or something because i don't get why the adapter wouldn't work even though it has a relatively high signal, thanks in advance

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You missed my one question, What Encryption are you using on your WiFi? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

Trust me, it can make a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.