Upgrading a Preowned MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a used MacBook Pro (mid 2010 15" 2.4 i5) as my first Mac and I have a few, hopefully easy, questions. I would like to upgrade to Lion, and I would also like to clear out all of the previous owner's data, settings and applications. My only issue is Microsoft Office and Adobe CS5 is already on there, and I would like to keep those. I do not have any disks for either.

So I guess the quick version is how do I ugrade to Lion, clear out the data, restore it to as close to new out of the box as possible, but keep Office and CS5?

Thanks!
~Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Nope. There isn't. If you bought those applications, you'll have the license key. If you didn't, you shouldn't be running them anyway.

OP
L
Reaction score
Nope. There isn't. If you bought those applications, you'll have the license key. If you didn't, you shouldn't be running them anyway.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Yea, I don't have any keys. They were just on the Mac when I bought it. So then I guess the next best course of action is to just upgrade to Lion and clear all data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Thanks for the quick answer.

Yea, I don't have any keys. They were just on the Mac when I bought it. So then I guess the next best course of action is to just upgrade to Lion and clear all data?

Yup, it goes against the licensing agreement to sell the computer with that software on it so when you upgrade to lion wipe off all the po's stuff.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yup, it goes against the licensing agreement to sell the computer with that software on it so when you upgrade to lion wipe off all the po's stuff.

OK, those are the least of my worries anyways. They aren't going to be needed on this computer so it was more of a "if they are here, why not." So no big loss.

So when I upgrade to Lion through the app store there is an option to restore everything to default?

I'm also having an issue with this because it won't connect to the internet. "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet." From what im reading, that's another big issue in itself haha.

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So when I upgrade to Lion through the app store there is an option to restore everything to default?

Did you get any OS install disks with this computer (most likely those that are gray/silver colored)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
OK, those are the least of my worries anyways. They aren't going to be needed on this computer so it was more of a "if they are here, why not." So no big loss.

I'm also having an issue with this because it won't connect to the internet. "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet." From what im reading, that's another big issue in itself haha.

Thanks again!

Those details I am unsure of as I'm still running Snow. As far as your internet connection goes click on the small wifi icon at the top of you desktop task bar thing (it's grey and shows the time/date) it will say something about your airport, make sure that your airport is turned on then try to connect. If it doesn't the network may have timed out or something preventing you from connecting. If it is not either of those then IDK hahaha

OP
L
Reaction score
Did you get any OS install disks with this computer (most likely those that are gray/silver colored)?

- Nick

No disks of any sort.

Those details I am unsure of as I'm still running Snow. As far as your internet connection goes click on the small wifi icon at the top of you desktop task bar thing (it's grey and shows the time/date) it will say something about your airport, make sure that your airport is turned on then try to connect. If it doesn't the network may have timed out or something preventing you from connecting. If it is not either of those then IDK hahaha

Yea I'm not sure whats going with it. Its not that so ill start doimg some research on this so i can then connect and upgrade to lion. Hopefully it lets you wipe everything when I do.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No disks of any sort.

Since you just bought this MBP used...and want to start "fresh"...here's what I would recommend:

1. Purchase Lion from the Mac App Store.
2. Immediately "burn" a Lion "Boot DVD". Do not install Lion.
3. Backup anything you may need to backup.
4. Boot the MBP from the Lion Boot DVD you made.
5. Open Disk Utility (from the menu at the top of the installer window) and reformat the hard drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled).
6. Quit Disk Utility.
7. Proceed with the Lion install.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Since you just bought this MBP used...and want to start "fresh"...here's what I would recommend:

1. Purchase Lion from the Mac App Store.
2. Immediately "burn" a Lion "Boot DVD". Do not install Lion.
3. Backup anything you may need to backup.
4. Boot the MBP from the Lion Boot DVD you made.
5. Open Disk Utility (from the menu at the top of the installer window) and reformat the hard drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled).
6. Quit Disk Utility.
7. Proceed with the Lion install.

HTH,:)

- Nick
That does help, I will do exactly that. Maybe it will clear the settings and the internet will work too! Now do you know if I can go on a windows computer and create this boot disk? Since I cant get this Mac on the internet. I am doubting this one... Hah

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now do you know if I can go on a windows computer and create this boot disk? Since I cant get this Mac on the internet. I am doubting this one... Hah

Aah...sorry about that...I forgot you were having internet issues with your MBP.

Are the internet connection issues with both Airport (wireless) and via an ethernet cable?

Connecting via Airport is usually very very easy. If you're having issues with Airport at your current location...go to somewhere they have free WiFi like McDonald's, Starbucks, or Panera bread (I think these guys still all have free WiFi)...and purchase & download Lion that way.

If you cannot connect via Airport at one of these places...then there is definitely something up with your MBP (hardware issue or network/Airport settings)...since I've never had a problem connecting with the free WiFi at these locations.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. I'm not exactly sure about purchasing & downloading via a Windows computer. You're supposed to have Mac OS 10.6.6 or later to access the "Mac App. Store"...not sure if this is possible on a Windows computer.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yea it's both Airport and Ethernet. I am trying at work, so hopefully airport will work when I get home or at a free location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whenever you purchase a pre-loved Mac make sure you get the system discs and discs and codes for any 'included' software otherwise you have been diddled by the seller. if it is a 2010 model, it will be running Snow Leopard OS X.6.3. Update to OS X.6.8, and from there you can download Lion for $29 and as Nick suggested, prior to running installer, burn to a USB thumb drive as they are easier to manage than the DVD.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whenever you purchase a pre-loved Mac make sure you get the system discs and discs and codes for any 'included' software otherwise you have been diddled by the seller.

Hey Harry...great terminology!!! You brought two smiles to my face today with "pre-loved" and "diddled"!:)

Nobody likes getting diddled!;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Haha I guess I got diddled =( Well I am posting this from the mac at home, so I guess the internet problem is more of a network issue at work. I will tinker with that in some down time. I will follow your little plan now, Nick. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha I guess I got diddled =( Well I am posting this from the mac at home, so I guess the internet problem is more of a network issue at work. I will tinker with that in some down time. I will follow your little plan now, Nick. Thanks!

Congrats on getting your MBP online at home. Like you said...probably a network issue at work. The important thing is you know your Airport works...and the MBP is fine.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
I did a clean wipe and got Lion up and running now. Thanks so very much for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.