My mac prefers the smell other networks

Reaction score
Hello

I recently switched my broadband supplier and my Macbook is having a huff. I keep wanting it to connect to the new network but like a labrador with a sniff of food in a far away field, it keeps running off to its old network. How can I train it to default to my preferred new network? As you might perhaps have gathered, I am not hugely experienced in this area. Any help, couched in words fit for a simpleton, will be hugely appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Ok, my friend, lets give this a shot.

You should be able to completely remove your computers memory of the old network, or decrease the preference for the old network by following these steps:

Open your Network Preferences. This can be done by opening up preferences and selecting Network, or by clicking on your wifi indicator at the top of your screen and selecting 'Open Network Preferences'

Once there, click on the advanced button. This will take you to a new screen where you can adjust the order of preference of all known networks, or tell your computer to forget a particular network.

Click on your new network and drag it to the top of the list. This will cause your computer to connect to it first, as long as it is available.

If you no longer use your old network, you can remove it from the list by selecting it and clicking on the minus key below the list.

OP
P
Reaction score
My Mac now heels at my command

Thanks so much for that helpful advice. It worked, even in my clumsy hands

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.