removing all music from iphone 4s

Reaction score
hey everyone,

maybe i'm missing something here but my understanding was that if i removed all the songs in my itunes library..and synced my phone...it would also remove the songs from my iphone but obviously this is not the case..
How do i remove all the songs from my iphone 4s? WITHOUT restoring it i don't want to lose my settings and all the apps i've already downloaded...i hate having to re-do everything again...i just want all my music off my iphone.

thanks for any responses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
In the music tab of the sync pane within iTunes, uncheck the 'Sync music' option.

OP
D
Reaction score
^^^ doesn't work buddy. I've tried it all.

1. uncheck sync music.
2. manually manage music.
3. moving songs to specific playlist and then deleting the playlist.
4. i even tried to delete all the songs from the itunes library...downloaded a few new songs...added everything back to itunes and sync...but now i have doubles of everything on the phone...no duplicates on the computer and itunes but on the phone it's all duplicates...

it's like the songs from my initial sync are embedded in there...sounds weird but it seriously seems that way...all the new songs don't have duplicates but all the old songs i've had since day 1...they all have duplicates.

this is so annoying!! haha

OP
D
Reaction score
actually everyone, i just realized...but does illegally downloaded music make a difference?? for example if I download music through torrents...store them in a folder called "music"....and then import those into itunes...does it embed those songs somehow since they weren't downloaded through itunes??

Reaction score
Same problem

Hey I had the same problem. Went through the whole manually managing music and videos and various other method and nothing worked....

The only way I could figure out how to delete songs off my iPhone 4s was to open the Music icon on the phone then go under the Artist menu and individually side your finger over the artist and click delete. It is time consuming but it works.

Hope this helps!

C

chas_m

actually everyone, i just realized...but does illegally downloaded music make a difference?? for example if I download music through torrents...store them in a folder called "music"....and then import those into itunes...does it embed those songs somehow since they weren't downloaded through itunes??

Since you didn't use iTunes, that could well be a part of the problem. You don't have to buy songs via iTunes but you do need to USE iTunes to sync the music.

And stop downloading music illegally. I'm no fan of the big record companies, but at least when you buy a song or album the artist gets SOME money. Pirating mainly hurts artists, not record companies.

Reaction score
thank you

Hey I had the same problem. Went through the whole manually managing music and videos and various other method and nothing worked....

The only way I could figure out how to delete songs off my iPhone 4s was to open the Music icon on the phone then go under the Artist menu and individually side your finger over the artist and click delete. It is time consuming but it works.

Hope this helps!

hey dude thank you i just made an acount just to thank you i jailbroke my iphone and music did not work but i did that and it worked thank you so much:Smirk::Smirk::Smirk::Smirk::Smirk::Smirk::Smirk::Smirk::Smirk::Smirk:

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, you didn't mention that you tried to delete them via settings in ios 5. Did you go to settings/General/Usage? You can select 'Music' from the usage menu under 'Storage', choose 'Edit' and then Delete all your music with one touch.

Reaction score
Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, you didn't mention that you tried to delete them via settings in ios 5. Did you go to settings/General/Usage? You can select 'Music' from the usage menu under 'Storage', choose 'Edit' and then Delete all your music with one touch.

Thanks for the post. I didn't know that option was available in iOS5. It did the trick, now my music is working like a charm after the recent JB! Thanks for posting. :Cool:

Reaction score
remove all music

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly. Now I have the extra space I needed. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.