Applescript/Automator turn off internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 320gb 7200rpm HDD Snow Leopard
I have satellite internet due to where I live. I have unlimited download/upload from 1-6am and am backing up my mac to a cloud server. I want to set my laptop to turn off wifi at 6am so I do not use up my limit (250mb/day).
Is there an applescript or automater I can use for this? thanks for any help.

I know I can just set the computer to shut down then but have had firefox and other programs at times lock up (not in a long time though) and stop the computer from shutting down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
This hint will show you how to disable/enable the Airport of your Mac.
Enable and disable Airport from the command line - Mac OS X Hints

Then use an Automator action to run a shell script with those commands, and then schedule those Automator Applications with iCal to run at 6:00AM and maybe 6:15AM to re-enable.

The problem you will face is running sudo commands unattended. Which is not a good practice.

This thread will go over some methods (with obvious security concerns) as well as methods to limit damage.
Shell script sudo without password prompt under Darwin? [Archive] - The macosxhints Forums

Reaction score
FYI, you can also enable/disable the airport/Wi-fi without sudo using:

Code:
networksetup -setairportpower en0 off
or
Code:
networksetup -setairportpower en0 on
I put it in an Automator workflow > Run shell script. Add other stuff to the workflow if needed, then save as Application or Service (to use a hotkey).

* Note: You might need to change the "en0" part to match whichever network device you're wanting to affect. Get a list of all devices with:
Code:
networksetup -listallhardwareports

I'm using OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 - The commands might be slightly different on other OS versions. This page has some info:
http://macstuff.beachdogs.org/blog/?p=44

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.