Problems relaunching apps from Previous System

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I just did an archive and install on may MacBook Pro.
But I am unable to relaunch many of the applications from the Previous System folder - the main ones are Itunes (with lots of music in it), Iphotos (lots of photos) and a few others.

Is there a way around this? I would like to open these apps but I get a launch error. Any help would be much appreciated. I would like to save my photos and music.

Many thanks for your help.
Clue.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you did a archive install, you should be opening iTunes and iPhoto from your Applications folder - not the ones in the previous system folder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed completely. Archive and Install puts the apps in the application folder. Launch them from there.

OP
C
Reaction score
I did open the aps from the applications folder but the photos and music are missing. So how do I get them back then because they are not in the newly installed itunes and iphoto aps? Were they supposed to transfer to the new aps automatically up on 'archive and install'? Or do I transfer them across manually?

They are missing right now... :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They should have all transferred over. I have done many Archive and installs and everything was there afterwards. Strange.

You just might have to go to previous and transfer them over.

OP
C
Reaction score
They should have all transferred over. I have done many Archive and installs and everything was there afterwards.

Nothing transferred over for me, and I think it is because my option "Preserve Users and Network Settings" was dimmed out and I was not able to select it. So I went ahead and did the archive and install anyway. I tried my best to do repairs with Diskwarrior, input commands in Terminal manually etc etc but nothing worked before finally deciding to do the CD A & I.

So since the Preserve Users and Network Settings was dimmed out, does this mean I lost my photos and music?

@#$%........
:[:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.