Wired vs Wireless keyboard

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 24" iMac and two Apple keyboards, one wired and the other wireless. The obvious differences are the the wired keyboard has more buttons including a full numerical keyboard whereas the wireless one doesn't however the wireless keyboard (hence its name) has no wires attached consequently meaning that I need to keep recharging batteries for it. Which keyboard would you/do you use and why?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Wired, I like the numeric keypad.

I really dont know why Apple dont make a full size wireless keyboard, I would buy one today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep them both.

If you need to do a clean install of your operating system, best with the wired keyboard and mouse. Same if you want to set up Bootcamp. Requires wired keyboard and mouse. Personally do not use rechargeable batteries as they never seem to last long. Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries last up to six month in the wireless keyboard, and 2-3 months in the Magic Mouse, using four to five hours a day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have both the wired and wireless versions of the Apple aluminum keyboard and much prefer the wired version. Like louishen I like the numeric keyboard and the fact that I don't have to press Fn in order to use simple things like backspace delete and so forth....

For louishen:

OWC stocks several models of a wireless keyboard that include a numeric keypad but they're costly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Keep them both.

If you need to do a clean install of your operating system, best with the wired keyboard and mouse. Same if you want to set up Bootcamp. Requires wired keyboard and mouse. Personally do not use rechargeable batteries as they never seem to last long. Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries last up to six month in the wireless keyboard, and 2-3 months in the Magic Mouse, using four to five hours a day.

harryb2448..you know what camp that I'm in ;) Is there some empirical data that we chew on?

Reaction score
My iMac came with the wireless keyboard, and it took a little bit of time to get used to the lack of keypad as well as how the delete key works, but I much prefer wireless. My last several keyboards and mice for my PC were wireless as well. Less clutter, and batteries seem to last a long time in a keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Wired.

There was never anything more annoying to me than getting on my computer and having the batteries go dead in my keyboard/mouse. Wired is always ready to use, and much more reliable IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Well, I would get a wireless, just because if you see the back of my desk, I don't need anymore wires. Even if it is not there, and it is on the desk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.