Blank cd/dvd not working on Macbook

Reaction score
Hi i have 2011 white macbook,i put in blank cd/dvd's and the drive spins and ejects the disc straight away.I have gone into system preferences and the cd/dvds option is set to 'ask me what to do' when opening a desk.I have also gone into utilities and found a disc repair option under permissions? it shows a Hitachi drive i guess thats the disc drive factory installed in the macbook.The drive plays original movie/cd's but cant do anything with blanks??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on your media. Using quality discs such as Verbatim and not cheap supermarket discs?

What does Apple System profiler say about the Hitachi? Similar to following that uses both +r and -R discs?

Firmware Revision: AC08
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

OP
C
Reaction score
Please help

Firmware Revision: SB10
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

i tried an original dvd and that too is not working my macbook is 8 months old!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
As it is still in warranty I would take it back to Apple and ask them to look at it. It sounds like the DVD drive is faulty.

OP
C
Reaction score
yes i will take it back to my apple store ,and the battery does not hold much charge so all going wrong after only 8 months ??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It happens. Batteries have to be looked after very specifically though, it could be that, but I suspect you have other issues that could be draining it, given the disc drive issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.