• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMac for HD-video editing

Reaction score
Hello!

I am trying to comprehend the requirements of HD video editing. I would preffer to go with as low cost as possible, but I also don't want to leave out something I could have gotten now for a couple of hundred and shall be missing in a couple of years.

I am debating between the smaller iMacs (latest model) - that much I have managed to narrow down. I know many would recommend the larger screen, but since I am used to 13" screen, 21,5" shall be a big leap already and I have decided it shall be enough (I can always get an extra screen, right?). However, performancewise I would love to get some advise from people that actually have done HD-editing.

Processor: Should I go for quad core i7 if I can afford it and why? Or would quad core i5 be sufficient? I was actually told by someone that i5 should be enough as long as I get as much RAM as I can. Is this so, and would I still be thinking it is enough after 2-3 years?

RAM: That much I have understood that I cannot have too much RAM. I am, however, going to go with the 4GB coming with the computer first, then start upgrading, probably first adding 2x4 GB, since I read adding RAM memory is rather easy.

Memory: 500 GB versus 1 terabite? I would guess 1 terabite would be prefferrable even though someone told me there's no point and that I should get external memories anyhow.

From what I've read as far as I've understood the cheapest iMac with i5, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB hard drive would be "enough" (or minimum requirement).

However, I keep on wondering whether in a couple of years I would regret not going for the more expensive one - would 1 terabite and/or i7 be worth it in longer run? Besides HD -video editing I'm going to use it for photo editing.

Thank you for any replies!

Elina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
Hello Elina

Sadly, I don't have experience of editing HD video but do share your quest for information on this subject. Having spent well over 200 hours researching, badgering staff at my Apple store, badgering people here, I have reached a decision.

On Monday (got a wages bonus - originally planned to get an iMac in January) I am getting a 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb Ram. I chose this model over the entry model just for the 1tb internal hard drive - most of my work will be stored elsewhere but a 500gb internal hard drive just sounds very laptoppy to me (though shouldn't be a deal breaker with canny external drive set ups).

Most usefully, I looked at what iMac purchasers from 2 years ago were saying today. None of them have been 'left behind' due to inferior graphics chips or only having i3 or not being able to upgrade to Lion etc. All who are HD video editing on those old iMac s just upgraded their RAM (cheaply with OWC or similar) and are getting along fine.

My route shall be iMovie 11 (whilst gaining confidence with my first ever Mac) then move on to FCPX. I did almost get seduced ever higher (27" 16gb RAM, 3tb hdd, 2gb Radeon graphics) but I'm more impatient than I am greedy and therefore won't be waiting another four months whilst saving the extra £900.

Roll on Monday - three more sleeps.

PS: I'll be giving regular updates of my ongoing experiences as I stumble in to what is unfamiliar territory, tantrums and all.

Reaction score
Elina,

Did you end up going with the entry level iMac?
That's what I am hoping to do and then upgrading the RAM myself as needed but I sure don't want to get something that turns out to not be adequate for editing HD home videos.

C

chas_m

I know many would recommend the larger screen, but since I am used to 13" screen, 21,5" shall be a big leap already and I have decided it shall be enough (I can always get an extra screen, right?). However, performancewise I would love to get some advise from people that actually have done HD-editing.

Get the best processor you can afford, with the best video card you can afford. You'll be getting lots of external storage later and lots of RAM later as well.

You mean "storage," not "memory." Memory refers to RAM. Storage refers to HD or SSD drives.

500 GB versus 1 terabite? I would guess 1 terabite would be prefferrable even though someone told me there's no point and that I should get external memories anyhow.

See? You're mixing up advice you've been given on RAM with storage. As far as what drive to get, I'm not sure it matters, since you'll likely be storing most of your video projects on external drives, as they can get very large. As for boot drives, larger is generally better so again if you can afford it, go for the larger ... bearing in mind that you WILL be buying more than one external drive down the road.

However, I keep on wondering whether in a couple of years I would regret not going for the more expensive one - would 1 terabite and/or i7 be worth it in longer run? Besides HD -video editing I'm going to use it for photo editing.

Impossible to say, but yes I think you would likely regret not going for the higher end -- UNLESS you keep the iMac for a shorter time and then sell it to get a newer one in let's say 2014.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
There is only one thing you might have overlooked.... iMovie 11 and the incapable HD output! I have an iMac now for 18 months and have tried many things to be able to achieve HD from iMovie and have come to the conclusion that it cannot play host to this acclaimed feature. Trust me, I have really tried!
The only success I have had is to create a partition and install Windows 7, then to install Corel VideoStudio Pro to edit HD and also export to HD. I have spent MANY HOURS unsuccessfully speaking with Apple about this to no avail.
In conclusion, if it's HD you are after, then I would suggest investigating another (cheaper but well equipped) PC!

C

chas_m

How odd. Just edited a 720 video in iMovie yesterday, which sort of proves you're doing something wrong there, though I have no idea what it could be.

My Mac isn't capable of doing 1080p editing satisfactorily (too old and weak a video chipset), but 720p works fine for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.