• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Pirates of Silicon Valley

Reaction score
Has anyone here seen this movie? I watched it the other day and i thought it was ok. How close is it to the truth?

B

badmojo

Pretty close, although Jobs never attended Berkley like they suggest in the movie. It's probably one of the best made-for-TV movies I've ever seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
better than band of brothers?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Visit Steve Wozniac's Page. He tells his thoughts on the accuracy of the movie. He said it was pretty dead on in the important parts. From all I have seen and read, I agree.

M

Morowin

If anyone is interested you can now as of a few weeks ago get it on dvd from amazon for $14.99! I for one am ordering as this is one of my favorite movies. It's so weird to think of something like the creation of personal computers as history.

Reaction score
Morowin said:
If anyone is interested you can now as of a few weeks ago get it on dvd from amazon for $14.99!

Awesome, I figured it would never go to DVD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah it's on DVD. Another movie to get if you can find it is the Robert Cringley one from PBS. It has not just Apple but Microsoft, IBM, the very first PC and a lot of history. Only problem is the DVD is quite expensive. I caught it on PBS when it first came out and taped it but still want the DVD. Also the real people are in this program, Gates, Jobs, the IBM dood that worked with Microsoft and the dood that was in charge of the first IBM PC, All about the Apple I and II, The Altaire 8080 and even how Compaq started. Highly recomended.

M

Morowin

There is another one that I have yet to see, but it looks like it might be really good. It's called Triumph of the Nerds. I think that might be the one that aired on pbs. Has anyone seen it? Let me know what you thought.

D

diim

Yeah, Triumph of the Nerds and Pirates of Silicon Valley are the only 2 I'm missing from my geek collection.

I own:

Antitrust
War Games
Hackers
Office Space
Tron

S

sursuciofla

Office Space was pretty darn good. That's one of my all-time favorite movies. Mike Judge just rules.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.