Wireless printer Setup help pls

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've searched forums and google and I'm still stumped on this one. I have a wireless Canon all-in-one printer that worked fine with my old Sony laptop. However I have made the move to a new macbook Pro (yes I love it) but I am having great difficulty getting my printer to work. I have downloaded the software from the CD that came with it and I can remotely control the all-in-one by getting it to scan. But I still can't print from it.

If I go into the system preferences and then click on Print and Scan, I thought I would find it there, but no luck.

Any help much appreciated, many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Which model printer do you have?

Did you click the + button in the Print and Scan preferences to see if it can be found/added?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had similar issues with a Canon Pixma MP 980 and 990. I tried a number of things to fix this and its been a while but I think this worked.

If Lifesabeach's suggestion does not work try connecting the printer to the Mac via USB and then installing the drivers for direct connection. Once that's done disconnect the printer and repeat the add a printer step in the preference pane.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to what Sly told you, the Canon Network utilities should be downloaded and run. Canon doesn't tell you that specifically, but without running the network utility tools, setting up wireless can be a bear.

Here are the utilities:

Canon Network Scan Utility.app

Canon Network Tool.app

Get it working via USB first and then use the Network Scan Utility.app to find your wireless network. Once it's found, the tool will setup wireless automatically. The only thing it will ask is for your permission and you may have to enter your password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.