iPhone 3G Respring/boot loop.. -.-

Reaction score
Hey guys, So I had an iPhone 3G that was jail broken (With Spirit if that helps). Me and a mate traded iPhones, I gave him my iPhone 3G for his iPhone 4 (Win for me!!) but just before i gave the iPhone 3G to him i pressed 'Erase All Content and settings' (Settings>General>Reset). Little did i know this would sent the phone into repspring/reboot loop.

Now this has happened to me before and i fixed it. But as he has it i cannot do it. I've sent him writen instructions on how to fix it along with the video off youtube of how i fixed it last time. (I followed that video step by step and it worked for me) And his saying its not working. Its now stuck on the 'Connect to iTunes' screen. And when plugged into the computer it doesnt come up in itunes.

Any ideas folks?
A Solution would be much appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You didn't say what version he had of iOS, or what baseband version he has. If he has 5.01 on it, go ahead and just give him his iPhone 4 back. The 3GS is toasted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You didn't say what version he had of iOS, or what baseband version he has. If he has 5.01 on it, go ahead and just give him his iPhone 4 back. The 3GS is toasted.

It's not a 3GS. It's a 3G. I'm a little rusty on this as it's ancient hardware/firmware, but I believe you should be able to do a fresh restore of 3.1.3 and then JB w/ Spirit.

Download the 3.1.3 firmware for the 3G.
Download iPhone 3.1.3 Firmware | Redmond Pie

Put the phone in DFU mode. Note that if it says, "Connect to iTunes", it is NOT in DFU. The screen should be completely blank. There is a difference, and in this case, it matters.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Open iTunes. Hold down Option(Mac) or Shift(Windows) and click Restore. Point iTunes to the firmware file you downloaded and let it restore the phone.

Once it's up and running again, you should be able to JB w/ Spirit again.
Spirit

OP
G
Reaction score

Its a 3G, was running 3.1.3.

Would'nt have any idea what the baseband is because i dont have it nor can it be used. Its been jail broken before

OP
G
Reaction score
It's not a 3GS. It's a 3G. I'm a little rusty on this as it's ancient hardware/firmware, but I believe you should be able to do a fresh restore of 3.1.3 and then JB w/ Spirit.

Download the 3.1.3 firmware for the 3G.
Download iPhone 3.1.3 Firmware | Redmond Pie

Put the phone in DFU mode. Note that if it says, "Connect to iTunes", it is NOT in DFU. The screen should be completely blank. There is a difference, and in this case, it matters.
iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode

Open iTunes. Hold down Option(Mac) or Shift(Windows) and click Restore. Point iTunes to the firmware file you downloaded and let it restore the phone.

Once it's up and running again, you should be able to JB w/ Spirit again.
Spirit

Thanks. Ill give this a shot. :)
Will let you know how it goes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.