Mac Pro 3,1 (8 core model) or Mac Pro 4,1 (4 core model)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011, 13" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i5, 320GB, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS X Lion
So I am looking to pick up a another computer for my desktop. I believe the Mac Pro is prefect for my setup. I just plan to try and pick up a Mac Pro 3,1 (8 core model) or Mac Pro 4,1 (4 core model). I narrowed it down to those two based off my general usage and what I want to spend on it. I want to have the room for the internal storage drive because I do have alot..alot of movies/video/files. I will be upgrading the graphic card and running boot camp because I do play a few games and a lot of my accounting software is made for PC. I also have a dual screen set up and now plan to hook up my plasma that is in the room. It's also going to run lion sever (when I'm not in windows). I've been running it on my MBP to get a feel for it and see how well it worked. I now need to move it all over to a desktop.

Now my questions have shifted to which Mac Pro? I just want to buy one that fits my usage and the within a reasonable price. I do little bit of a lot of different things so that narrows it down between the Mac Pro 3,1 (8 core model) and Mac Pro 4,1 (4 core model). It I've had a tough time finding the 2009 models and prices have been all over the place. I guess my question is. What would you rather have??

Some of my thinking
The 4,1 (4 core model) (This will cost me a little more and it has a little bit lower benchmark but the cost of expanding RAM is a **** of alot less. And it has a improved chipset, faster system bus and improved graphics card.)

The 3,1(8 core model) (The benchmarks seem to be around 9100 and will cost less than a newer model. Everything else but the ram seems to be similar. The RAM seems to cost a arm and a leg compared to newer models.

So

Mac Pro 3,1 (8 core model) or Mac Pro 4,1 (4 core model)?

Dustin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My vote is for the 2009 Nehalem 4,1 Mac Pro.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with the 4.1.

To substrate this, Mactracker quotes Geekbench tests on a 3.1 with 2.8GHz at 7,685.

A 4.1 with 2.93GHz returns a reading of 14,904. Twice as fast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.