Differences between MBP and Windows laptop

Reaction score
GDay,

I need to buy a new laptop for work and have always wanted to try a Mac. I have always used Windows PCs/laptops in the past. I know I can run Windows virtually on a MBP and I will probably need to do that for certain apps.

I'm wondering what are the major differences that I am likely to encounter:

eg. Plugging in peripherals such as mouse, keyboard etc. I particularly like Logitech keyboards/mice and hope the ones I already have will still work

Other hardware differences? I believe standard SSD/SATA drives can be used? RAM?

Keyboard shortcuts? I have always used keyboard shortcuts (eg. in Windows I can hit the Windows key + L to lock the screen), and even have some software so I can program extra shortcuts not included in Windows.

There's probably a bunch of other stuff I take for granted but don't know to ask about.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
eg. Plugging in peripherals such as mouse, keyboard etc. I particularly like Logitech keyboards/mice and hope the ones I already have will still work

Yes...most USB mice & keyboards work with a Mac.

Other hardware differences? I believe standard SSD/SATA drives can be used? RAM?

Yes..SSD and SATA drives are used. Yes...Mac's use ram!;)

Keyboard shortcuts?

Yes there are keyboard shortcuts...but they will be somewhat different.

It would probably be a good idea if you have access to Mac computers (such as a nearby Apple Store, a university, maybe a library, a coworker, or a friend)...to "play" around with one to become more familiar.

HTH,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is little difference from a hardware perspective between Macs and Windows machines. They both use the same commodity x86 hardware. In fact, you can pop a Windows 7 disc in, install the OS and the only reason you'd know it was a Mac is the keyboard layout (and of course, the sleek design).

OS X is the major difference - and as Nick said, you'll have no trouble using most peripherals, including the more mundane ones like a Logitech keyboard.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I think I was already aware that the MBP uses RAM ;D Was just wondering if it is standard RAM I can get at any computer store rather than paying premium price for Apple RAM.

As for running Windows/Windows apps, I'm wouldn't mind some advice on the various alternatives. I've used VMware workstation on Windows before so understand what's involved with something like Virtualbox. What about the alternatives that are not free? Advantages/disadvantages/limitations etc?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the quick response. I think I was already aware that the MBP uses RAM ;D Was just wondering if it is standard RAM I can get at any computer store rather than paying premium price for Apple RAM.

Yeah, the memory modules are the same, just make sure you get the right specification. Personally, I recommend Crucial or OWC, but your favorite vendor should be fine.

As for running Windows/Windows apps, I'm wouldn't mind some advice on the various alternatives. I've used VMware workstation on Windows before so understand what's involved with something like Virtualbox. What about the alternatives that are not free? Advantages/disadvantages/limitations etc?

Thanks

All you need to know (and more) is available here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Thanks

You can get the ram outside of Apple but not just any old ram Crucial is a great brand .
As for VM's there is Parallels,Fusion and Virtual Box some posters have a preference according to the software they want to use.
Then there is Bootcamp which if you need Windows to run in its full blown mode for things like gaming.
CWA was quicker on the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.