Do you dual boot at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I haven't tried, i am just curious if any of you do and how it works .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Presently no, but i might try it some day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
never really wanted to, but i might try to dual boot linux on my pc some day.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the Mac I guess having a bootable OS 9.2.2 and OSX would constitute Dual booting. On the PC I used to do it all the time and at one time years back I had DOS, Windows 95, OS2 and Slackware linux all set up with Lilo and Windows boot manager. It got harder to do that with Win2k as I no longer wanted to use plain FAT but at least FAT32, so then I went to 2k Pro and Slackware. Now I have XP and Suse Pro on two machines Dual Boot.

I have also played around with Ubuntu on the Macs but at the present only with the Live CD. Am very impressed with Ubuntu but since OSX on the Mac does all I need right now, I have not wanted to repartition but might on one Mac one of these days. It's a good distro. Very easy to use and set up.

Reaction score
At one time I had 10.4.2, OS 9 and Yellowdog linux on three seperate drives. If it's not set up right it can be a real pain. Currently have 10 and 9 only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I dual boot with OS X and Ubuntu

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Fallooza said:
Well if i am going ta put on one boot i might as well put on two.

But if you read my message I put on 4 boots! How do you explain that one?

:headphone :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
dtravis7 said:
But if you read my message I put on 4 boots! How do you explain that one?

:headphone :headphone

You dress your horse funny?
:p

I don't dual boot my Mac (yet). I do triple boot my PC. I have WinXP, Gentoo and Kanotix all working fine. I've had a XP and Gentoo on my machine for about 2 years now and put Kanotix on about 6 months ago when I upgraded my PC to AMD64.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel
Because of restrictions of upgrading software due to cost, we dual boot some of the times. We're running Tiger and OS 9.2.2 but have finally moved to Quark 6.5 so our days of dual boot may be ending and then move full-time to Tiger.
Never had a problem bouncing back and forth, machine never seems sluggish either way.

Cheers

W

whyatt

Duel Boot Mandrake 10.2 Linux (on a 160gig hard drive :) ) and there is a copy of windows xp booting from a rusting 6gig hard drive. But I haven't booted to it for at least 6 months.

I plan to duel boot my iBook when it finally arrives (first mac!) to run a linux distro, if Fink doesn't work out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac bondie blue 233mhz 320mb ram 2 meg vram 4gig HD and a Beige G3 A/V 266 OCed to 300mhz 64mb ram
yeah at present i am dual booting both pcs my imac triple and my g3 All in one is just os 9.2.2 so i can use the av card and play my n64 (mario64 best game since mario for the NES) on it and watch tv at the same time.

P

phantasma

i do but on my pb with osx and ubuntu, but its kind of pointless cuz ubuntu doesnt support the track pad.

Reaction score
Why would anyone want to dual boot when having OSX? I mean, main reasons for linux IMHO were stability and security, as well as the nice Interface.
But that's a reason if your trying to escape Windows, why OSX? I mean, I'm gonna buy a imac soon, and I'm just getting a bit scared by you guys...

Reaction score
yogi said:
Why would anyone want to dual boot when having OSX? I mean, main reasons for linux IMHO were stability and security, as well as the nice Interface.

Because some of the older, better games and programs run under OS 9 and wont work in classic.

As far as using linux, some people need to and some (like me) need something to play with. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.