Outlook Express to Mac Mail - How to?

M

mac_newbie

I've been using Outlook Express in Win2000 for years. Just got a new iMac. But now I want to convert all of my mail from the old PC to the iMac.

I can't find any instructions online for doing this. How can it be done???

Much thanks!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
mac_newbie said:
I've been using Outlook Express in Win2000 for years. Just got a new iMac. But now I want to convert all of my mail from the old PC to the iMac.

I can't find any instructions online for doing this. How can it be done???

Much thanks!!!!!!

I was faced with this same problem-- years of Outlook Express mail that needed to go to the Mac.

Unfortunately, there is no way to go from Outlook Express directly to Mac Mail. Microsoft uses a proprietary format that's unreadable by any other application. You could try to export to text files, but that's just messy.

There's a smoother, albeit more roundabout way to accomplish this:

This will require your having access to Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express); if you have any editions of Office, it will have Outlook included as part of it. You will also need this program, Outlook2Mac , which is more than worth the $10 registration.

The first step is to start Outlook and import all your Outlook Express folders. Fortunately, Microsoft makes this part really easy.

Once everything is in Outlook, run Outlook2Mac and it will convert everything to what is basically standard UNIX mail format. Then all you need to do is copy your converted mail (via a network connection) to your Mac and import it.

Voila. All your Outlook Express mail is on your Mac, attachments and all.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.