VMware Fusion 4

Reaction score
I have installed Fusion 4 - have an iMac with an Intel i5 processor. Want to migrate my PC over to the MAC - need XP or Windows 7 Pro in order to run a specialized program. Is this difficult? Can I still use my PC - as is a laptop? Have DSL - do I need a cable to do this? Suggestions are welcome. Sleeeker:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Installing Windows in VMWare Fusion is very easy. Fusion 4 uses a wizard like installation routine and simplifies the entire process. Please read our Sticky post about running Windows on your Mac. That post is located at the top of our "Running Windows......" forum.

Not sure I understand your question about the PC laptop? Why couldn't you continue to use it? Whether you have cable or DSL doesn't matter.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Installing Windows in VMWare Fusion is very easy. Fusion 4 uses a wizard like installation routine and simplifies the entire process. Please read our Sticky post about running Windows on your Mac. That post is located at the top of our "Running Windows......" forum.

Not sure I understand your question about the PC laptop? Why couldn't you continue to use it? Whether you have cable or DSL doesn't matter.

Thanks for the note regarding the sticky note on "Running Windows" will look for that.

As far as PC laptop - what I mean by that - if I virtuallyl move all my info over to the Mac, will I still be able to use the PC if needed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as PC laptop - what I mean by that - if I virtuallyl move all my info over to the Mac, will I still be able to use the PC if needed?

I think you're misunderstanding how Fusion works. You can not just "move" info from the PC to the virtual machine. You need to install a legal copy of
Windows from within Fusion. If you have programs on your PC that you wish to run from Windows on the Mac they will have to be reinstalled within the virtual copy of Windows. The PC and everything on it will be left intact. You can continue using it as before.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think you're misunderstanding how Fusion works. You can not just "move" info from the PC to the virtual machine. You need to install a legal copy of
Windows from within Fusion. If you have programs on your PC that you wish to run from Windows on the Mac they will have to be reinstalled within the virtual copy of Windows. The PC and everything on it will be left intact. You can continue using it as before.

Ah, but you can. Fusion comes with a program that will image your existing PC into a VM to port over to Fusion.

See instructions here:

VMware Fusion Documentation Center

With that said, there may be some product activation issues if you try to use both machines simultaneously.

OP
S
Reaction score

I had an old 2008 version of Fusion on my Mac - deleted it and got the new Fusion 4 - it uploaded all of my PC info from XP - Now I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 on the MAC - how or where would I look for info for how to go from XP to Windows 7 on the MAC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had an old 2008 version of Fusion on my Mac - deleted it and got the new Fusion 4 - it uploaded all of my PC info from XP - Now I would like to upgrade to Windows 7 on the MAC - how or where would I look for info for how to go from XP to Windows 7 on the MAC.

You upgraded Fusion and that's why it moved the info for you from the old VM to the new one. I did the same when going from Fusion 2 to 3.

You can't upgrade from XP to Windows 7 per se. You can install Windows 7 over the top of XP, however. What it will do is save the XP info to a separate directory and install Windows 7 clean.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, but you can. Fusion comes with a program that will image your existing PC into a VM to port over to Fusion.

As many times as I tried that, I could never get it to work right which is why I usually don't even mention it. But yes, it is an option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.