New Laptop

Reaction score
I am looking at Mac Book pro. I do not know which one to buy. I will have to take this laptop to high school for this program called readaloud. where you get books read to you. I do lots of web development. I will be doing web surfing. I am debating between the 13 inch monitor and the 15 inch monitor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am looking at Mac Book pro. I do not know which one to buy. I will have to take this laptop to high school for this program called readaloud. where you get books read to you. I do lots of web development. I will be doing web surfing. I am debating between the 13 inch monitor and the 15 inch monitor.

First thing you need to do is decide between the 13" and 15" models. This is strictly a personal choice...and not really something someone else can say "get this or get that".

Once you decide on the display size...your choices will be cut in half...and we can move forward from there.

You might also tell us if you have some sort of max. budget...because if so, this may eliminate some models...and further reduce the choices.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
I recently (2 weeks ago) went for the 13 inch because I wanted to get in as cheaply as possible (and still be able to upgrade the RAM/HDD myself). I was worried about the 13.3" screen, but the touchpad gestures and easy desktop switching (3-finger swipe) make it VERY usable even at that size. And it's 1280x800, which is a pretty standard resolution for slightly larger screens on other types of laptops (higher DPI is always nice), anyway (GF's 15" Toshiba is 1280x800). If I get really desperate for screen real-estate, I also picked up a mini DP-> HDMI (and another for VGA), so I can attach another monitor (when one is available).

My decision was MOSTLY based on price, but I'm not dissatisfied with the size of the screen.

Reaction score
Consider, as well, your visuals in web design. I've no idea what that is or means, but if you are writing code then the smaller screen would not be necessary, one would think. If you are using programs that require placement of visuals and even working in some paint program to modify the visuals, then one would think the larger screen comes to the fore. I've got a MBP 17" and it is a bear to lug around. Wife has a new MBA and it is a breeze. Of course all is moot considering the touch pad, but you might consider the above in your calcs. Good luck and Happy Byrd Day.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will it matter which one i want to do web development then i need it for high schol

I seriously doubt that you need the more expensive 15" MacBook Pro (both available models will most likely be more computing power than you need).

But both models are within your budget...so you have to decide how much money you want to spend. I'm sure either model will get the job done.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I do all my web design on a 13" MB. If I ever did need the biger screen I would just hook it up to my 27" monitor or work on my 27" iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what cable would i need to hook it up to my imac

It would be helpful if you told us what iMac model you have. Since iMac's have been around since 1999...there are LOTS of differences.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.