Airport Express disables network

Reaction score
I have attached my Airport Express to an existing network on a Netgear WGR614v4 router using WPA-PSK security. The connection works and I am able to play music from any of my devices as expected.

However, after some period of time -- an hour at least -- my network becomes unstable and all devices on the network lose connectivity.

Unplugging the Airport Express immediately restores the network to good working order.

What gives?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why the elaborate setup?

I'm guessing that part of the problem here has to do with the fact that you're using two routers. Can you run this network with just the AE?

OP
P
Reaction score
Perhaps I was unclear.

My existing network based on the Netgear router, has been there all along. I want it because I'm using both its wireless functions as well as connecting to several of its 4 switch ports.

My intention was to configure the Airport to 'Join an existing network'.

I am assuming that in this configuration it's not behaving as a router, just as a DHCP client. (But, I should go back and confirm this -- If it is acting as a router that would certainly create a problem).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.