Just got my ibook G3 today..please help with few questions

P

PriorityMaiL

I finally got it today. Im happy with it so far.
I just need it for school, nothing too fancy.

Ok a few things i want to improve.
I am online now and the pages seem to load like on my cell phone i got the bandwidth its 130KB/sec so its not too band.(btw airport rocks. great reception) it only lags a few seconds when browsing. I would click on a link then about 5 seconds it would load up. Its like latency on an intenet connection, only i dont have it on the other pcs. here is what i was thinking to upgrade:

-upgrade more ram (only got 256mb now) i want to get 256 or 512(is it worth 512mb) would more ram make a speed difference on the 500Mhz processor? I mean i just want the pages to load up faster thats it and maybe a few apps to open quicker.

-upgrade to OSX 10.4 only problem is i dont have a dvd drive. Can i do it with external usb drive or something else other than dvd drive?

- touch pad sometimes too sensative, what to do about it?

- need to get a battery cause this one i have hear is dead. how much would it cost for a good one.

- maybe a slip case or something like that to cover it.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
1. yes, upgrading the ram will help :find it @ http://www.macsales.com
i bought mine there and it worked really well

2. you can use an External Firewire hard drive or another mac in target disk mode. A USB drive will not work(trust me, i have tried it :))

3.you should be able to change the settings in OS X

4.Check out http://www.macsales.com- they cost $120

5.Apple store, if you have one near by. I saw one that looked good and it was designed just for the 12" ibook :)

good luck and enjoy your laptop!

OP
J

jn4jenny

PriorityMaiL said:
I finally got it today. Im happy with it so far.
I just need it for school, nothing too fancy.

Ok a few things i want to improve.
I am online now and the pages seem to load like on my cell phone i got the bandwidth its 130KB/sec so its not too band.(btw airport rocks. great reception) it only lags a few seconds when browsing. I would click on a link then about 5 seconds it would load up. Its like latency on an intenet connection, only i dont have it on the other pcs. here is what i was thinking to upgrade:

-upgrade more ram (only got 256mb now) i want to get 256 or 512(is it worth 512mb) would more ram make a speed difference on the 500Mhz processor? I mean i just want the pages to load up faster thats it and maybe a few apps to open quicker.

-upgrade to OSX 10.4 only problem is i dont have a dvd drive. Can i do it with external usb drive or something else other than dvd drive?

- touch pad sometimes too sensative, what to do about it?

- need to get a battery cause this one i have hear is dead. how much would it cost for a good one.

- maybe a slip case or something like that to cover it.

thanks

1. Yes, more RAM would help. For the purists, there's www.crucial.com (Apple gets its memory from Crucial, so you can go right over their head to Crucial and save a few bucks.) For the less pure, compare lots of prices at www.dealram.com.

2. Last poster's idea works. So does ordering Tiger on CD through the Apple store, but I hear that's a real PITA process. Besides, 512MB is really the minimum RAM that you need for Tiger, so until you get the RAM, maybe it's better not to upgrade. You might also consider Panther, which I felt was a gigantic improvement over Jaguar, whereas Tiger is more of a minor improvement over Panther. Many ppl would disagree with me there, but if money's an issue, Panther is no slouch of an OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.