Transfer Drive from old to new Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum and have one initial question.
I am about to purchase a new 12 core Mac Pro to replace my older EFI 32 8 core. The current 8 core is running OSX Lion 7.2 and I would like to consider moving that boot drive over to the new machine as its boot drive in order to avoid having to reload all of my software. Will this be possible?
Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's possible that the new Mac's installation of Lion may have or need drivers that aren't available in the old Mac's installation of Lion. That's unlikely though, since the Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in some time, so you should be just fine. On booting up the old drive, Lion should see that you have different hardware and load the drivers accordingly. If you go this route, I would definitely consider running the full suite of Onyx's maintenance and cleaning tools after swapping them out.

You could instead just migrate your applications and user accounts to the new Mac and be up and running where you left off once done. No need to actually reinstall anything. The Migration Assistant that comes with every installation of OS X can do this for you. Just connect the two computers by firewire or ethernet cable and run the app. Obviously this will take more time than simply swapping the drive, but you'd be up and running on the new drive that you paid good money for anyway as part of the purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And your current Mac Pro will be SATAII and the new machine SATA III. Try popping it in bay 2, and as suggested run Migration Assistant from utilities to transfer things over. The SATA III drive will be much faster than the SATA II so use that as the boot drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I suspect that the best method going forward would be to install the old drive—seagate barracuda 2 TB 6gbs—into one of the new Mac Pro's slots and use Migration Assistant. I have used it before with good results.
Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.